EENPS Research Seminar + Zoom link

1 view

Gabi Tarziu

Dec 3, 2021, 3:34:25 AM12/3/21
to eenps_...@googlegroups.com

Dear Members,

We would like to kindly remind you about our invitation to the EENPS Research Seminar. The first meeting is scheduled for the 6th of December at 3PM CET. In this session we will be discussing Lilia Gurova’s (New Bulgarian University) paper “The Uses of Truth: Is There Room for Reconciliation of Factivist and Non-factivist Accounts of Scientific Understanding?” (please see the attachment).

Abstract: One of the most lively debates on scientific understanding is standardly presented as a controversy between the so-called factivists, who argue that understanding implies truth, and the non-factivists whose position is that truth is neither necessary nor sufficient for understanding. A closer look at the debate, however, reveals that the borderline between factivism and non-factivism is not as clear-cut as it looks at first glance. Some of those who claim to be quasi-factivists come suspiciously close to the position of their opponents, the non-factivist, from whom they pretend to differ. The non-factivist in turn acknowledge that some sort of ‘answering to the facts’ is indispensable for understanding. This paper discusses an example of convergence of the initially rival positions in the debate on understanding and truth: the use of the same substitute for truth by the quasi-factivist Kareem Khalifa and the non-factivists Henk de Regt and Victor Gijsbers. It is argued that the use of ‘effectiveness’ as a substitute for truth by both parties is not an occasional coincidence of terms, it rather speaks about a deeper similarity which have important implications for understanding the essential features of scientific understanding.

Zoom link:

https://cesnet.zoom.us/j/99001136105?pwd=alZ5MFRuQ0EyWDFoa2d6VnU3K2JpQT09

Meeting ID: 990 0113 6105

Passcode: 601191

What to expect:

The seminar will last for one hour with a 10 to 15 minutes presentation and 45 – 50 minutes discussions. So we will concentrate on discussions, not on the presentation. Please familiarize yourself with the paper in advance.

Best wishes,

The organizers (Magdalena Małecka and Gabriel Târziu)

LG_Effectiveness 2021 full draft.pdf

Borut Trpin

Dec 4, 2021, 11:46:48 AM12/4/21
to eenps_...@googlegroups.com
Dear members,

Just in case the below message landed in spam for some of you, please find the info about our Monday seminar and the Zoom link below.

Best wishes,
Borut Trpin

Begin forwarded message:

From: 'Gabi Tarziu' via East European Network for Philosophy of Science - members <eenps_...@googlegroups.com>