Call for meeting of the assembly

Borut Trpin

Jul 29, 2022, 5:11:30 AM7/29/22
to eenps_...@googlegroups.com
Dear EENPS members,

Our fourth conference is approaching (August 17 — 19, 2022) and with it also our fourth members assembly meeting. Although the conference will take place in Tartu, Estonia, you will all be able to join the meeting online even if you will not be there. The meeting will take place after the talks of the second day of the conference, i.e. in the evening (local time) of August 18.

I will send you the information on how to join the meeting and the exact time of the meeting once it is confirmed.

Here is a rough agenda of the meeting, but please let me know if there is something that you feel we need to also discuss.

Agenda:
1. Report on the activity of the EENPS in the last year (social media team, publications team, Ukraine team, memberships team, website etc).
2. Results of the election to the steering committee (SC).
3. Open issues: some suggestions that we received for the new SC regarding coordination.
4. Ideas for future activities and assignment of interested members to various action teams.
5. Open issues: website availability (Weebly is inaccessible in Kazakhstan and some other countries) – ideally, someone is willing to move the website elsewhere...
6. Open issues: the network’s relation to Russia in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine;
at least 3 positions so far –
i) the hard line 1: philosophy of science only: leave politics out of the network completely
ii) the intermediate position: make the network’s stance clear (supportive of Ukraine and its philosophers), but do not exclude anyone unless they are openly pro-Russian AND pro-war.
iii) the hard line 2: exclude anyone affiliated with Russian institutions while the war is ongoing (unless they condemn the war).
iv) anything goes: no position at all.

(other positions are possible, but it may be a good idea to narrow down on these options)
((if this turns out to be a discussion that we cannot have in a civilized manner, then I suggest to leave the decision to the future SC))
7. Other issues:

I will keep updating the agenda before the actual meeting, so keep an eye on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ulQ_TqrpEyeKTHr6gqOHAkb2s6ol7RvdbyeTxxyfol8/edit?usp=sharing.

In case you haven’t yet, please also don’t forget to participate in the SC election until August 9, 2022, End of Day, Anywhere on Earth (AoE).

Best wishes,
Borut Trpin, the outgoing coordinator of the network

P.S.: As mentioned, the mailing list is currently in a moderated mode (i.e., I have to approve all incoming messages) because the discussion about Ukraine and Russia yesterday became ad hominem and got out of hand. I apologise to those who shared their views on the matter afterwards yesterday because your messages will not be shared even if you discussed in a civilised manner. I decided instead to lock the thread and subsume the positions in those above, so that we will hopefully be able to clarify this all in a respectful manner in a few weeks (it is also already clear that it will not be possible to come to a solution that everybody would be happy with). Thanks for understanding.