Recent publications by the members of the EENPS

1 view

EENPS (Borut Trpin)

Apr 21, 2021, 4:57:12 AM4/21/21
to eenps_...@googlegroups.com
Dear EENPS members,

Many thanks to all who have shared information about your recent publications with us!

We have now listed 5 additional publications on our website, where you can also find instructions how to add your own to the list: https://eenps.weebly.com/members-publications.html
See also below.

Best wishes,
Borut Trpin (coordinator of the EENPS)

Publications are listed by year, then in alphabetical order (first author's first name).

2021/forthcoming:

Adam P. Kubiak, Paweł Kawalec (Faculty of Philosophy, John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin) and Adam Kiersztyn (Department of Computer Science, Lublin University of Technology)
Neyman-Pearson Hypothesis Testing, Epistemic Reliability and Pragmatic Value-Laden Asymmetric Error Risks. Axiomathes.
Abstract:
We show that if among the tested hypotheses the number of true hypotheses is not equal to the number of false hypotheses, then Neyman-Pearson theory of testing hypotheses does not warrant minimal epistemic reliability (the feature of driving to true conclusions more often than to false ones). We also argue that N-P does not protect from the possible negative effects of the pragmatic value-laden unequal setting of error probabilities on N-P’s epistemic reliability. Most importantly, we argue that in the case of a negative impact no methodological adjustment is available to neutralize it, so in such cases the discussed pragmatic-value-ladenness of N-P inevitably compromises the goal of attaining truth.

Borut Trpin (MCMP/LMU Munich)
Against methodological gambling. Erkenntnis.
Abstract:
Should a scientist rely on methodological triangulation? Heesen et al. (2019) recently provided a convincing affirmative answer. However, their approach requires belief gambles if the evidence is discordant. We instead propose epistemically modest triangulation (EMT), according to which one should withhold judgement in such cases. We show that for a scientist in a methodologically diffident situation the expected utility of EMT is greater than that of Heesen et al.’s (2019) triangulation or that of using a single method. We also show that EMT is more appropriate for increasing epistemic trust in science. In short: triangulate, but do not gamble with evidence.
Twitter: @BorutTrpin

Tomáš Marvan (Institute of Philosophy, Czech Academy of Sciences)
Was Wegner Rejecting Mental Causality? Theory and Psychology.
Abstract:
Daniel Wegner’s theory of apparent mental causation is often misread. His aim was not to question the causal effectiveness of conscious mental states, such as intentions. Rather, he attempted to show that our subjective sense of agency is not a completely reliable indicator of the causality of action, and needs to be replaced by more objective means of inquiry.
Twitter: @Tom_Marvan

2020:

Daniel Kostić (Institute for Science in Society (ISiS), Radboud University, The Netherlands)
General Theory of Topological Explanations and Explanatory Asymmetry. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 375: 20190321.
Abstract:
In this paper, I present a general theory of topological explanations, and illustrate its fruitfulness by showing how it accounts for explanatory asymmetry. My argument is developed in three steps. In the first step, I show what it is for some topological property A to explain some physical or dynamical property B. Based on that, I derive three key criteria of successful topological explanations: a criterion concerning the facticity of topological explanations, i.e. what makes it true of a particular system; a criterion for describing counterfactual dependencies in two explanatory modes, i.e. the vertical and the horizontal and, finally, a third perspectival one that tells us when to use the vertical and when to use the horizontal mode. In the second step, I show how this general theory of topological explanations accounts for explanatory asymmetry in both the vertical and horizontal explanatory modes. Finally, in the third step, I argue that this theory is universally applicable across biological sciences, which helps in unifying essential concepts of biological networks.

Daniel Kostić (Institute for Science in Society (ISiS), Radboud University, The Netherlands), Claus C. Hilgetag (Institute of Computational Neuroscience, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany), Marc Tittgemeyer (Max-Planck-Institut for Metabolism Research, Translational Neurocircuitry, and Cluster of Excellence in Cellular Stress and Aging-Associated Disease (CECAD), Cologne, Germany)
Unifying the Essential Concepts of Biological Networks. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 375: 20190314.
Abstract:
Over the last decades, network-based approaches have become highly popular in diverse fields of biology, including neuroscience, ecology, molecular biology and genetics. While these approaches continue to grow very rapidly, some of their conceptual and methodological aspects still require a programmatic foundation. This challenge particularly concerns the question of whether a generalized account of explanatory, organizational and descriptive levels of networks can be applied universally across biological sciences. To this end, this highly interdisciplinary theme issue focuses on the definition, motivation and application of key concepts in biological network science, such as explanatory power of distinctively network explanations, network levels and network hierarchies.
Twitter: @DanielKostic