Urban Eelam: Seawater for flushing toilet

1 view

Ottawan

Mar 19, 2007, 3:42:56 PM3/19/07
to Eelam Economy
Hong Kong has an extensive use of seawater for flushing toilets
territory-wide. More than 90% of toilets in the territory are flushed
by seawater as a means of conserving fresh water resources.

The development of this approach was started in the 1960s and 1970s
when water shortages This is unusual because saline water cannot be
treated (in a waste water treatment plant) by the usual methods. The
principal problem with treating marine waste water is the high
dissolved sulfate concentration. Within anoxic (oxygen free)
environments found in some stages of conventional wastewater treatment
sulfate is reduced to the very smelly and toxic gas hydrogen sulfide.

Here is a model of such toilet:
http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/toilet_waste_systems/electric_toilets/ds_toilet_seawater_flush_37275_series/iid_47/index.htm

http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/toilet_waste_systems/electric_toilets/quiet_flush_electric_toilet_seawater_37245_series/iid_46/index.htm

Ottawan

Mar 20, 2007, 3:22:30 PM3/20/07
to Eelam Economy
In many western countries, people have learned to live and appreciate
apartment/condo lifestyles. Can Tamils learn to live like in such
urban environment?

This was a genuine discussion between a friend and myself.

Learning to live in high-rise has many benefits and disadvantages.
But, we agreed that benefits outweigh disadvantages.

It would be cheap to keep the place cool for one. And if not for
residential purposes, then this option should be looked for commercial
purposes.

A modern Eelam would also require building code (this is already
available in Vanni) and a state of the art fire station(s).

On Mar 19, 3:42 pm, "Ottawan" <ampa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hong Kong has an extensive use of seawater for flushing toilets
> territory-wide. More than 90% of toilets in the territory are flushed
> by seawater as a means of conserving fresh water resources.
>
> The development of this approach was started in the 1960s and 1970s
> when water shortages This is unusual because saline water cannot be
> treated (in a waste water treatment plant) by the usual methods. The
> principal problem with treating marine waste water is the high
> dissolved sulfate concentration. Within anoxic (oxygen free)
> environments found in some stages of conventional wastewater treatment
> sulfate is reduced to the very smelly and toxic gas hydrogen sulfide.
>

> Here is a model of such toilet:http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/toilet_waste_systems/electric_t...
>
> http://www.jabsco.com/products/marine/toilet_waste_systems/electric_t...

CAPitalZ

Mar 21, 2007, 9:01:51 AM3/21/07
to Eelam Economy
You have to look at why people are living in high-rise buildings?

Its not there are no space in Canada or any other country. Its just
high cost in mortgage + utilities + WEATHER.

You woundn't want to live in Yukon even if there is one lakh salary.
6 months dark, & cold can go high -50. Throughout year, you see snow.

Any of these are NOT a factor in Tamil Eelam. So when there comes a
need, people will start moving towards that direction. High rise
buildings in Sri Lanka means, AIR CONDITION. People morale+culture
values will deteriote as it is in any western countries.

So I think we should keep our country the way it is for now.

_______
CAPitalZ
http://adadaa.com/