Sri Lanka: Key economic indicators

1 view

Ottawan

Mar 7, 2007, 6:41:13 AM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy
Key Facts about Sri Lanka economy

GDP
· The growth is expected at 5.8 for 2006
Inflation
· Consumer price inflation is at 17.2% as of Oct 2006
· 2006 year's average is expected at around 12.7%

Treasury bonds
· has relaxed rules for non-residents

Taxes:
· corporation from 20%-33%
· top rate of personal income tax rate is 35%
· indirect taxes are main source of income

Major export (2005):
· Garments and textiles 45.6 %
· Tea 12.8%

Leading market (2005):
· USA 31.1%
· UK 11.7%

http://www.asiandevbank.org/documents/books/ado/2005/sri.asp
http://www.imf.org/external/country/LKA/index.htm
http://www.econstats.com/weo/C147.htm

neethan

Mar 8, 2007, 7:02:42 PM3/8/07
to Eelam Economy
I have attached a document on Sri lankan economy with US.
This power point slide was presented by Ambassador Devinda R.
Subasinghe
Sri Lanka's Ambassador to the US

at
Ashland International Business Initiative
Convocation Centre
Ashland University, Ohio
January 20, 2004

On Mar 7, 6:41 am, "Ottawan" <ampa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Key Facts about Sri Lanka economy
>
> GDP
> · The growth is expected at 5.8 for 2006
> Inflation
> · Consumer price inflation is at 17.2% as of Oct 2006
> · 2006 year's average is expected at around 12.7%
>
> Treasury bonds
> · has relaxed rules for non-residents
>
> Taxes:
> · corporation from 20%-33%
> · top rate of personal income tax rate is 35%
> · indirect taxes are main source of income
>
> Major export (2005):
> · Garments and textiles 45.6 %
> · Tea 12.8%
>
> Leading market (2005):
> · USA 31.1%
> · UK 11.7%
>

> References:http://www.economist.com/countries/SriLanka/profile.cfm?folder=Profil...http://www.asiandevbank.org/documents/books/ado/2005/sri.asphttp://www.imf.org/external/country/LKA/index.htmhttp://www.econstats.com/weo/C147.htm

Ottawan

Mar 14, 2007, 9:25:43 AM3/14/07
to Eelam Economy
Most western countries have an annual inflation rate around 2%.

Sri Lanka's Inflation jumped to 20.5 percent in January and eased
marginally to 19.2 percent last month. But economists warn of trouble
is ahead.

There is another indicator that major investment companies look for,
called "bond rating". Two companies are well known to do this, one of
them is Moody and other one is Fitch.

Sri Lanka carries a "junk bond" rating of BB-minus from the ratings
agency Fitch, three levels below investment grade.

> > References:http://www.economist.com/countries/SriLanka/profile.cfm?folder=Profil...- Hide quoted text -

Ottawan

Mar 17, 2007, 10:23:23 PM3/17/07
to Eelam Economy
Sri Lankan rupee started to depreciate after, what is called Tsunami
money.
High oil price, war budget and inflation all contribute.
For more : http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2007/03/18/fin01.asp

Tamil Diaspora and those in Colombo should avoid Sri Lankan banks,
instaed choose HSBC, ICICI - foreign banks. We should withdraw the
money, beofre the country goes bankrupt or before the money takes a
plunge.

According Wikepedia, in 2005 2005 223Billion USD was sent as
remittance, 60B to Mexico and second was India. I am sure Tamils also
help Sri Lankan economy.