Industry:Salt: In Eelam economically viable?

1 view

Ottawan

Mar 7, 2007, 9:36:15 AM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy
Folks,
I kindly ask to you all to take a look at salt.ppt, from the files
section of this group.
More research can be done in this area.

Salt industry can help in many ways: employment, foreign exchange,
develop knowledge in chemistry and chemical engineering etc. Also salt
is used in many other applications.

neethan

Mar 7, 2007, 10:54:17 AM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy
well prepared slides. If I have time I will explore the technology
used by westerners to produce the salt in large scale.

neethan

Mar 7, 2007, 11:36:38 AM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy
Few More info on Salt production

METHODS OF SALT
PRODUCTION

The three primary methods for producing salt are rock salt mining,
solution mining and solar production

* Rock salt mining

This is an underground mining process in which the salt is
physically dug out of the ground in an operation involving drilling,
blasting and crushing the rock. The major percentage of this output is
used for winter road maintenance (road 'gritting' or 'salting').

* Solution mining and brine evaporation

This is the most common process for the production of industrial and
edible salt in Northern Europe. Water is pumped into the underground
rock salt deposits from above the ground to produce fully saturated
brine, which is then pumped back to the surface.

Originally, salt was produced by boiling the brine in 'open pans', to
evaporate off the water, leaving salt crystals. It is now evaporated
under vacuum in huge evaporator vessels, to produce the familiar white
salt. This salt can be used in industry, in catering and, of course,
at the table.

* Solar salt production

In hot countries, salt is produced by allowing the sun to evaporate
sea water in shallow pools or 'pans'. Because our mean temperatures
are lower and the rainfall higher, there is no commercial solar salt
production in the United Kingdom.

It has been estimated that salt has over 14,000 uses, with differing
grades of salt required for various applications. The different
production methods help to meet this need.

World-wide, salt is produced commercially in over 100 countries with
an estimated global annual output varying around 180-200 million
tonnes. About 58% of this is used as chemical feed-stock. Estimates of
production output vary widely, but according to one source*, the
approximate outputs of the primary producing nations in millions of
tonnes during 1998, are as shown in the table. (* U.S. Geological
Survey (October 1999 draft)

millions of tonnes per annum

USA 41.3

China 30.8

Germany 15.7

Canada 13.3

India 9.5

Australia 8.9

Mexico 8.4

United Kingdom 6.6

Brazil 6.5

All others 38.0

Total 186.0

neethan

Mar 7, 2007, 1:15:21 PM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy

neethan

Mar 8, 2007, 6:51:50 PM3/8/07
to Eelam Economy
I have attached external document on salt production ( In power point
format)

On Mar 7, 1:15 pm, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please see the graphical procedure for producing salt using various
> methods
>

> http://www.saltinfo.com/salt%20production4.htmlhttp://www.saltinfo.com/salt%20production5.htmhttp://www.saltinfo.com/salt%20production3.htm

Valuthi

Mar 14, 2007, 5:50:46 PM3/14/07
to Eelam Economy
Indian Producers: The 271-km-long Ramanathapuram coast is one of the
largest salt producing coasts in the State. Salt is made on
25000-30000 acres along the coast of Valinokkam, Thirupalakudi,
Athankarai and Devipattinam.

The 271-km-long Ramanathapuram coast is one of the largest salt
producing coasts in the State. Salt is made on 25000-30000 acres along
the coast of Valinokkam, Thirupalakudi, Athankarai and Devipattinam.

Price Range per Tone: CAD ($) 5 - 25

2004-- CAD ($) 5 - 7.5

2005 -- CAD ($) 20 - 25

- The price of salt in Canada vary from location to location and can
range between $204 to $80. The price is estimated to be on average $50
per tonne for the country.

Trading: http://www.tradekey.com/kb-salt/

http://www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/documents/report/f2555/_conv.htm

http://www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/documents/report/f1284/_conv.htm

Requirement to produce solar salt: "Salt production needs at least
four-seven bright sunny days without any interruption. It was not so
during April; we hardly had sunny days. It dealt a heavy blow to the
producers," says S. Venkatakrishnan, a leading producer at
Ramanathapuram.

Demand: K. Ganesakannan, another producer at Devipattinam, says, "The
demand is heavy in both domestic and foreign markets. Merchants,
exporting to China, Indonesia and other Southeast countries, and
selling to Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, demand more. But we
could not meet the demand."

Useful: Contains valuable metals

http://www.chemlink.com.au/mag&oxide.htm

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/09/stories/2005050905620600.htm

http://www.ec.gc.ca/nopp/roadsalt/reports/en/winter.cfm

Points to Ponder: Since Tamil Eelam is on an island, so naturally she
is lacking on clean water but close to the sea. If we can come up with
the technology/method to utilize the both needs the high salt
production and clean water. It will be great. By intergrading Reverse
Osmosis technique with the solar salt production and Solution mining
would increase the efficiency of Salt and Clean water production.

Some related words for research:

Reverse Osmosis

Desalination

Semipermeable

Solar salt production and Solution mining and brine evaporation

On Mar 8, 7:51 pm, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have attached external document on salt production ( In power point
> format)
>
> On Mar 7, 1:15 pm, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > please see the graphical procedure for producing salt using various
> > methods
>

> >http://www.saltinfo.com/salt%20production4.htmlhttp://www.saltinfo.co...

Message has been deleted