Do we need to focus on 'energy' first?? since without energy we can not move forward.

neethan

Feb 23, 2007, 4:02:31 PM2/23/07
to Eelam Economy
Do we have alternative energy source ??
possible energy source for TE ?

--------------------------------------
wind --> not sufficient
solar power ---> not sufficient
waterfalls --> we don't' have
from lake --> need to know what technology , like we see in hull ,
Quebec power generator.
charcoal --> expensive to build thermal generator
huge power generator --> using oil, so impossible to do large scale.

What method do u think suitable to TE to satisfy the energy
requirements.

Ottawan

Feb 23, 2007, 10:35:40 PM2/23/07
to Eelam Economy
I think we cannot put all eggs on one basket. We have to get energy
from many sustainable sources.
All options should be on the table.
I will add some info.

neethan

Mar 2, 2007, 5:30:57 PM3/2/07
to Eelam Economy
I think first we need to analyze what the technology or methods other
countries use to satisfy their energy needs. Among those technology we
need to select suitable for Eelam.

Ganes Selva

Mar 2, 2007, 7:36:20 PM3/2/07
to eelam-...@googlegroups.com
In oneof the PPT, I have looked at all possible energy sources. Plesae take a look.

neethan

Mar 3, 2007, 9:39:46 AM3/3/07
to Eelam Economy
The following Book provides comprehensive information on basic energy
principles, electricity, fossil energy resources, nuclear power,
renewable energy resources, energy conservation, and the impacts of
energy use on the environment. While it contains all the requisite
equations and problem sets, the concise, clear coverage of the
environmental and policy issues surrounding our energy use really
distinguishes this book from other energy texts.

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Its-Use-Environment-InfoTrac%C2%AE/dp/0495010855/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7538719-1260852?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172932446&sr=8-2

On Mar 2, 7:36 pm, "Ganes Selva" <ampa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In oneof the PPT, I have looked at all possible energy sources. Plesae take
> a look.

neethan

Mar 7, 2007, 8:19:23 PM3/7/07
to Eelam Economy
The following news article outline how Sri Lanka getting power

Sri Lanka plans first coal-fired power unit by 2010
NEW DELHI, March 7 (Reuters) - Sri Lanka plans to set up its first
coal-fired power plant by end-2010 at a cost of $450 million to reduce
its reliance on oil-fired power plants, its Power and Energy Minister
W.D.J. Seneviratne said on Wednesday.

The island nation generates 64 percent of its power needs from
petroleum-fuelled plants and the rest from hydropower.

The plant at Puttlam in the northwest will initially produce 300
megawatts (MW) and be expanded to 900 MW, the minister told reporters
on the sidelines of a South Asian Energy Ministers Conference.

Sri Lanka will need to import 700,000 tonnes of coal per year to
produce 300 MW, he said, adding the project will be run by Ceylon
Electricity Board (CEB) and will be built with Chinese technical and
financial assistance.

"We will begin discussions on sourcing coal imports on long term basis
by the end of this year," Seneviratne said.

He said Sri Lanka, which has an installed capacity of 2,500 MW, plans
to add about 1,000 MW of generation capacity in the next four years.

It is also setting up a 150-MW hydroelectric power project in the
central part of the country.

India's state-run NTPC Ltd. also plans to build a 500 MW coal-based
power plant in Trincomalee, a port in the northeast coast of Sri Lanka
in partnership with CEB.

Sineviratne did not say when the proposed plant will be operational.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070307/3/2yklz.html

On Mar 3, 9:39 am, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following Book provides comprehensive information on basic energy
> principles, electricity, fossil energy resources, nuclear power,
> renewable energy resources, energy conservation, and the impacts of
> energy use on the environment. While it contains all the requisite
> equations and problem sets, the concise, clear coverage of the
> environmental and policy issues surrounding our energy use really
> distinguishes this book from other energy texts.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Its-Use-Environment-InfoTrac%C2%AE/dp/04...

neethan

Mar 9, 2007, 7:36:21 PM3/9/07
to Eelam Economy
Brazilian biofuels' pulling power

As US President George W Bush embarks on his week-long tour of Latin
America, the growing global interest in biofuels, such as ethanol, is
high on his agenda.

One of his first stops is due to be an ethanol processing facility in
the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo.

Mr Bush will be signing a new memorandum of understanding with
Brazil's President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva, aimed at expanding
ethanol production into Central America and the Caribbean.

Many commentators in Brazil believe this is about more than cleaning
up the region's vehicle emissions.

Although denied by the White House, the visit has been widely
interpreted as an attempt to counteract the influence of President
Hugo Chavez in oil-rich Venezuela.

Helping poor countries to reduce their dependence on imported oil, it
is argued, also reduces their dependence on Mr Chavez - the man who
recently described Mr Bush as the devil.

Plant power

According to a former Brazilian ambassador in Washington, Rubens
Barbosa, the tour is a belated attempt by Mr Bush to regain ground
lost to Mr Chavez as a result of the US administration's neglect of
Latin America.

In the case of Brazil, Mr Barbosa says that while co-operation between
the world's two largest ethanol producers is welcome, the real
benefits will come only when the US lifts its steep tariffs on imports
of biofuels.

"This is a limited proposition, because as far as Brazil is concerned,
what matters is the reduction of the restrictions, the protectionist
attitude that the US has towards ethanol," he told BBC News.

"The duties that the US imposes on ethanol is nearly equal to the
price of production, yet Brazil is so competitive that we are
exporting directly to the United States, despite the duty.

"To say in advance that this issue is not on the table shows how this
matter is being dealt with by the administration, only in the area
that is of US interest."

The big sugarcane growers of Brazil, who already supply some 45% of
vehicle fuel in the country, have welcomed the initiative to expand
the ethanol market in the Americas, but also argue that the US import
tariffs make no sense.

Alfred Szwarc of the Sao Paulo sugar growers' association (UNICA) says
the current US trade position penalises renewable fuels while
rewarding fossil fuels. It should, he said, be the other way around.

He believes that while tariffs are not on the official agenda of the
presidential visit, moves are afoot in the US Congress that could
eventually reduce or end the protectionist policies on biofuels.

"If the Americans are able to substitute 20% of gasoline and have
ethanol as the prime option, we are talking about a market of 135bn
litres per year, compared with current total global production of 50bn
litres," Mr Szwarc told BBC News.

"So we have to almost triple production to be able to fulfil US market
needs. I don't believe that based on conventional use of corn they
will be able to do it by themselves, and this opens fantastic
opportunities not just for Brazil, but for Central American countries
and the Caribbean."

Environmental concerns

Amid this excitement about the prospects for biofuels, a note of
caution has been sounded by the head of the UN Environment Programme,
Achim Steiner, who has been in Brazil in the week leading up to the
visit of President Bush.

He argues that right from the start of this new energy revolution,
international norms and standards should be set to ensure that
biofuels really are helping the environment, and that negative impacts
are minimised.

Mr Steiner said: "If global expansion of biofuels takes place without
right now at the beginning looking at sustainability criteria, we may
very well risk having a setback."

He argues that industry itself has an interest in sticking to strong
environmental standards, to avoid a potential consumer backlash
further down the line if biofuels are found to be destroying
ecosystems and threatening wildlife.

Brazil is better placed than any other country to identify the
potential pitfalls of biofuel production, since its experience goes
back to the 1970s when governments of the day encouraged sugarcane
producers to diversify into ethanol.

This programme, known as Proalcool, was motivated not by a desire to
clean up vehicle emissions, but by alarm at the growing cost of
relying on oil imports following a series of Middle East price shocks.

One impact of this first wave of ethanol expansion was the advance of
sugar plantations into many remaining remnants of the Atlantic Forest,
one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. It now covers just
7% or so of its original extent.

Lessons learned

According to UNICA, that lesson has been learned, and the current
plans for expansion are overwhelmingly on large tracts of land in
Brazil that have already become degraded after decades of cattle
grazing.

Alfred Szwarc denies fears expressed by some environmental groups that
new areas of the Brazilian cerrado, the most biodiverse savannah in
the world, will suffer more destruction as a result of increased
ethanol production.

"If there will be any interference, it will be because humankind
always interferes in the environment. But what we have to do is to
minimise it," Mr Szwarc said.

The Brazilian sugarcane industry also claims to have ended highly-
damaging practices such as the dumping of crop wastes into rivers,
which causes widespread pollution.

However, it is only slowly phasing out the pre-harvest burning of cane
fields, necessary to remove excess leaves to prepare the crop for hand-
cutting, still practised in some 80% of plantations.

The burning has been associated in scientific studies with significant
increases in hospital admissions for respiratory illnesses during the
harvest period.

Another vital lesson from Brazil was the virtual collapse of the
ethanol industry in the late 1980s when sugar prices soared and oil
prices dropped, making the fuel unviable and leaving many motorists
disillusioned with the fuel.

To deal with these price fluctuations, some 80% of new Brazilian cars
are now "flex fuel", able to take any combination of ethanol and
conventional gasoline.

This is now seen as an essential technology for the world to follow if
biofuels are reach their full potential in the world market.

Ottawan

Mar 14, 2007, 3:00:48 PM3/14/07
to Eelam Economy
Today US gave nearly half a million USD for oil and gas exploraion to
Sri Lanka.
Note the followings:
Sri Lanka presently has no oil or gas production of its own
Imports approximately 80,000 barrels per day
Has one refinery
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=21563

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

neethan

Mar 15, 2007, 12:13:50 PM3/15/07
to Eelam Economy
I have added a power point file called 'Wind_Energy_Project.ppt' .
You can always access the files by clicking 'FILES' on the right side
menu.
Really interesting to learn about the Wind Engergy. Please take a look
at it.

On Mar 14, 3:00 pm, "Ottawan" <ampa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Today US gave nearly half a million USD for oil and gas exploraion to
> Sri Lanka.
> Note the followings:
> Sri Lanka presently has no oil or gas production of its own
> Imports approximately 80,000 barrels per day

> Has one refineryhttp://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=21563

> read more »

neethan

Mar 15, 2007, 12:19:28 PM3/15/07
to Eelam Economy

neethan

Mar 15, 2007, 12:21:37 PM3/15/07
to Eelam Economy
Please see the 'Small_Hydro_Project.ppt' file. Really worth it.

On Mar 15, 12:19 pm, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please have a look at these links.
>

> http://www.retscreen.net/ang/t_training.phphttp://www.retscreen.net/ang/t_software.phphttp://www.retscreen.net/ang/home.php

> read more »

Message has been deleted

neethan

Mar 21, 2007, 5:16:04 PM3/21/07
to Eelam Economy

Google HQ to Run on Solar Power, Sun's Stock Price Suddenly Rises
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/announcements/google-hq-to-run-on-solar-power-suns-stock-price-suddenly-rises-208030.php
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72292-0.html

Its time for us to invest more on this Solar Power plants in TE.

On Mar 15, 12:19 pm, "neethan" <neet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please have a look at these links.
>

> http://www.retscreen.net/ang/t_training.phphttp://www.retscreen.net/ang/t_software.phphttp://www.retscreen.net/ang/home.php

> read more »

CAPitalZ

Mar 22, 2007, 8:33:04 AM3/22/07
to Eelam Economy
What do we get in abundance?

Sun
Wind
Sea water

So why don't we use that.

Wind posts can be in middle of sea. I mean IN THE WATER. Also could
act as centry points and emergency stoppings for fishermen [may be
charge a litte]. Possibly become a tourist spots, with small
restaurents build in! Also in vast empty lands.

Sun we get all the time. I think we get like 11 hours a day. Non-
critical short time electric needs can be fullfilled. May be
electricity can be the backup for the sun powered houses.

Is there a way to produce electricity from Sea water? East of Tamil
Eelam has deep underwater. May be we could use under water current to
produce. Farmers are depended on the rain. So we should find a way
to easily make salt water to a good water, not necessarily a drinking
water, so at least the farmers can use the water. Possible sell same
technology in other parts of the world ;)

Even though India, Sri Lanka and Tamil Eelam and other similar
countries all eat same kind of food, they still IMPORT many food
items. So we should harvest as much so at least we don't depend on
some other country vegetables. This also could save us when ever we
get any "economic sanctions" by US or somebody else.

What I think is, our country should NOT depend on any other country
for critical needs. In Tamils its "unavu, udai, uRaiyuL" ;)

________
CAPitalZ
http://adadaa.com/