[EEELINUX] Will you still flash me when I'm 64 ? Well Opera will !

linux.ninjas groupadmin

May 6, 2010, 4:04:44 PM5/6/10
to eeelinux
It's been a bit of struggle to get a working 64bit flashplayer plugin
for Firefox 64 bit on Fedora 12 64 bit ...

And we needed a 64 bit Fedora 12 machine to run a 64bit version of
VirtualBox to run a 64bit version of Windows2008R2 (from the evil
empire) which we needed to run ... the version 2.2 Beta of the Redhat
RHEV KVM Hypervisor Management Station ...

So, here is the compromise. Make do with the Opera browser ...

as Installing a 64 flash plug-in for Firefox on Fedora 12 64 bit
just does not seem to work.

A temporary solution :

After reading the Opera (webbrowser) company blog entry at
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/show.dml/10870581
which was pointing to the latest beta build of Opera for Linux :

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6330/

I found a link to this posting:

http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/index.dml/tag/FLASH

so I started with downloading and installing a 64bit version of Opera
from :

http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6330/opera-10.53-6330.x86_64.rpm

Browser Startup seems to be faster than firefox (with all my add-ons.
)

Then I went hunting for a 64 bit Flash for Linux, which is also still
in Beta
at
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html

where I downloaded :

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.45.2.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

After a quick

tar -zxf libflashplayer-10.0.45.2.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

i copied the resulting libflashplayer.so to the plugin directory /usr/
lib/opera/plugins

and started Opera.

Success :

I can again view my conference videos (http://www.lca2010.org.nz/wiki/
Talk_Slides#Arduino_Miniconf_.28Frank_Taplin.29 )and the usual time
wasting YouTubes .