Fedora 13 - initial impressions and bluetooth dial-up networking

EEElinux GroupAdmin

May 26, 2010, 7:17:23 AM5/26/10
to eeelinux
Fedora 13 has been released last night (May 25, 2010).

here are some initial impressions and a bit of gotcha info :

Upgrading :
while downloading the iso-images I did an in-place migration from
Fedora 12 to Fedora 13 using the normal methodes :
yum -y update
preupgrade
This worked without any issues and the mirrors were speedy.

Installing :
using the usual external USB connected DVD writer :

Booting with I386 DVD image from
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
was a disappointment. The install process failed because it could
not find a local harddisk to install to. Changing the harddisk
parameters in the bios settings from ATA to IDE did not help. I
think I had to with Fedora 10 also.
Bummer …

Booting with the I686 Live CD image from :
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Live/i686/Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso
worked better. After booting into the Live CD environment I could
find the usual “Install to hd” button and 15 minutes later the Asus
was running Fedora 13.

Wireless and Wired network connection don't seem to have any issues.
(early days).

One of the first new features I wanted to try immediately was the new
" Dial up networking support over bluetooth" directly build in the
Network Manager. No need for additional blueman software.

This was super easy, start by clikcing on the bluetooth button on the
menu bar, pair your phone and confirm by selecting the checkbox "
Access the Internet using your mobile phone”. I had to enter the
Country for the broadband connection, and, as my small alternative 3G
provider was not listed I had to enter the apn name web.be. That's
it.

The result is not an extra tab in Network Manager when you edit
Network connection but an extra device directly under Network Manager
between your wired and wireless connection.

Installed Fedora 13 and online via a broadband connection in 16
minutes. Very impressive.

Another reason to get yourself free mobile internet from Mobile
Vikings ...

Please share your feedback here !