Can I download MIT and Harward courses and use into my web site?

Learning Edx

Dec 20, 2014, 6:07:50 AM12/20/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

Is there any resourses available for courses of MIT, Harward or any other universities EDX compatible course?

Ned Batchelder

Dec 20, 2014, 6:40:45 PM12/20/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
The courses running on edX are copyright by their universities.  Some are available for licensing, I don't know that any are freely available.

--Ned.

Arash Dehghan

Dec 21, 2014, 3:47:56 AM12/21/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi ned
How to know which one can be license and the pricing also?

Colin Fredericks

Dec 21, 2014, 10:32:23 AM12/21/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
You will need to contact each university separately. EdX does not handle the licensing.

Armando Fox

Dec 21, 2014, 5:21:23 PM12/21/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
@Colin - note that in at least some cases edX does handle the (sub)licensing.

At UC Berkeley, when we get inquiries about licensing MOOCs we generally refer them to edX, since our institutional agreement with them gives edX the right to sublicense and part of the benefit of the relationship is that we don't have to handle every inquiry.

@Arash: @Ned is correct in stating that in general the courses cannot simply be copied and hosted on other sites without there being a licensing agreement in place.

Piotr Mitros

Dec 21, 2014, 7:26:36 PM12/21/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
I am aware of the following courses under open licenses:
  1. DelftX.
  2. Lorena Barba's Python course
  3. My edX Insider mini-course.
  4. The edX Demo course
Many of the other courses can be licensed. Looking at sites like XuetangX and Edraak gives an idea of some courses which have been licensed out by either edX or its partner universities in the past.

Piotr

Benjamin W Weeks

Dec 24, 2014, 3:03:41 PM12/24/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
MIT Open Course Ware put some effort into bundling some of their courses into edX format a while back ago. One such course is available here: https://github.com/mitocw/18-02sc-fall-2010.edx There is also a conversion script to generate more edX bundles from OCW materials at https://github.com/mitx/ocw2edx, though it is not actively maintained. The script will not create a completely interactive course for you, but should get you far enough to continue further refinements in studio.

It’s also worth noting that this work is licensed as CC-BY-SA-NC.

Also, Piotr, are the openly licensed you mentioned freely available? The only one I can find is the edX Demo course at https://github.com/edx/edx-demo-course/.

-Ben

Piotr Mitros

Dec 24, 2014, 5:11:21 PM12/24/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! Having a serious course with broad appeal like 18.02sc under an open license is a very big deal.

I'm curious: Is the course still being actively developed? How open or interested would you be to outside contributions to the course? I'm not sure if this will come up in the near future, but in the past, there have been multiple instances of people trying to find open courses for a range of reasons. If this comes up again, I'd be pretty excited to try to get a community of contributors going around 18.02sc. Should the opportunity come up again, is that something you'd be interested in having? If you wanted to fold contributions back into mainline, it would probably improve the course quality overall, but it would likely also diverge from the original MIT course, and maintaining it would be a fair chunk of work (even just in terms of just reviewing contributions). If this lived as an independent fork there would, of course, be no additional work on your part, but also less benefit (other than collecting occasional citations).

edX Insider is here:

It's a fairly modest one-hour mini-course.

Piotr

Benjamin W Weeks

Oct 9, 2015, 5:43:17 PM10/9/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Piotr, (and edx-cdoe),

Your recent post about openly licensed content reminded me about this course shell for 18.02sc. Unfortunately, it is only a representation of a course that has been available on MIT OCW for some time now. Its contents do not include any assessments. The brighter side is that these are a product of a script[1] that will turn MIT OCW Scholar courses[2] into OLX course shells. It will not provide everything, but the source MIT OCW content all carries a CC-BY-NC-SA license[3], so are ready to be remixed into content carrying the same license.

I have other comments about your proposal as well, but I will post those in your original thread about them.

-Ben

From: <edx-...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Piotr Mitros <pi...@mitros.org>
Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM
To: "edx-...@googlegroups.com" <edx-...@googlegroups.com>