Documentation for extending the multiple choice single answer XBlock

Felipe Torres

Sep 18, 2019, 9:50:23 PM9/18/19
to General Open edX discussion
Hi,

I've been browsing through the docs but haven't found a clear guide on how I could extend the functionality for the problem component, specifically the multiple choice single answer.
The basic functionality relates to the hint and feedback component but I want to see how it actually works before trying to implement my own problem component.

So my main questions are:
Is there any guide on how to extend the problem/component?
If this component is not an XBlock could someone point out any reference to other component that is an XBlock that deals with similar logic?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Colin Fredericks

Sep 19, 2019, 6:30:26 PM9/19/19
to General Open edX discussion
Hi, Felipe!

There's no guide for edX development, sadly.

Until very recently multiple choice problems were part of an XModule rather than an XBlock.  You'll find most of the relevant code in /common/lib/capa/capa in the files responsetypes.py and capa_problem.py . If you're running a more recent release, you might want to check out the pull request that made the change: https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/pull/20023

Multiple choice problems are actually quite fancy, with the ability to shuffle responses, create answer pools, give partial credit, etc. You might find drop-down problems (aka "OptionResponse") to be easier to understand if you want to start simple.

Also, you might want to ask this over at the new discussion site! https://discuss.openedx.org/c/development

Felipe Torres

Sep 19, 2019, 6:52:03 PM9/19/19
to General Open edX discussion