tincan api support in open edx

Dharmesh Maniar

Sep 15, 2014, 11:50:21 PM9/15/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have installed edx platform on ubuntu machine. The installation is working properly.
I wanted to to know about the Learning record store of edx platform.
Does it support tincan API? or any other specifications?
What learning record store edx platform is using?

Benedict Kuester

Sep 16, 2014, 10:47:26 AM9/16/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'd like to know the answer, too. So +1.
I'll post here if I find the answer anywhere.
Cheers!

Piotr Mitros

Sep 17, 2014, 3:00:33 PM9/17/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, the LRS are still log files. There is an analytics team building out something which will hopefully be better, but it's not in place yet.

Fortunately, the log files are very detailed, and you can do great post-hoc analytics on them. The system was designed from the ground up to capture very complete data.

Tincan support is not there, and not on the immediate roadmap. We had investigated it at one point as the primary way of managing learning analytics. As I recall, there were a number of issues which would need to be resolved before we could use it. We needed a solution on a timescale where we really could not engage with the standards process around Tincan to resolve those issues, so we went forward with our own standard. I expect we might want to revisit that decision once the frameworks around analytics are more mature.

We do expect to eventually need to consume data from a range of sources outside of edX, as well as probably provide data to other systems. At that point, at the very least, I expect we would need pluggable connectors to standards such as Tincan and IMS Caliper, as well as potentially proprietary systems. Unless someone in the open source community took the lead here, I expect it may be a bit of time before get there.

Piotr

Dharmesh Maniar

Sep 18, 2014, 12:20:42 AM9/18/14
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Piotr. This is very helpful information.

Håvard Pedersen

May 24, 2016, 5:46:31 AM5/24/16
to General Open edX discussion
Is this still the status quo? And does edx have a roadmap somewhere?

Nate Aune

May 29, 2016, 7:19:28 PM5/29/16
to General Open edX discussion
The ADL folks made an edX to xAPI bridge:

I've never used this and I'm not familiar with what state it's in (last commit was 2 yrs ago), but I thought would mention it, in case you want to explore further.

Alex Trapp

Oct 3, 2017, 6:11:42 PM10/3/17
to General Open edX discussion
Thanks for this.