Contributing

Daniel King

Oct 25, 2010, 12:45:18 AM10/25/10
to edwin-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I've been spectating from the sidelines for more than a year now and I
figure it's high time for me to contribute to Edwin. I'm on coop in
San Diego so I have plenty free time on my hands. I was wondering if
there's a list of tasks or some other roadmap? I could use some
notion as to what needs doing. I think publicizing the to-do list
would lower the barrier of entry for contributions and spur more
student interest.

Let me know where I can assist.

--
Dan King
College of Computer and Information Science

Jeff Dlouhy

Oct 29, 2010, 1:04:25 PM10/29/10
to edwin-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dan,

> I've been spectating from the sidelines for more than a year now and I
> figure it's high time for me to contribute to Edwin. I'm on coop in
> San Diego so I have plenty free time on my hands. I was wondering if
> there's a list of tasks or some other roadmap?

Right now I'm working on writing a lot of docs for the parts of Edwin we have rewritten. As well as a overview file of what subsystems Edwin is composed of.

The second thing I am working on is what Olin deemed "Cosmetic Emacs" where we have a simple demo of first typing into a terminal in "raw" mode and it spits back what keys were pressed, but as our kbd records. From there going on and having those keystrokes dispatch on a command table. So you type the letter 'e' and you will get the symbol 'self-insert-command printed to the terminal. Then you type Ctrl-h and it waits for another command since this is a "prefix key" and you type 't' and it prints 'help-with-tutorial.

I've gotten the beginnings of the first part working and hope to have some code committed later today.

> I could use some notion as to what needs doing. I think publicizing the to-do list
> would lower the barrier of entry for contributions and spur more student interest.

Agreed. I'll try to put up some bugs and tasks on the new GitHub page.

> Let me know where I can assist.

The first thing you should do is get Roderic's scsh 0.7 up and running. We're trying to eat our own dog food now and it's helping find bugs on the scsh front.

You'll first need to install the trunk of Scheme48.

Follow these steps:

hg clone http://www.s48.org/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/s48
cd s48/
./autogen.sh
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install

cd ../
hg clone https://scsh.googlecode.com/hg/ scsh
cd scsh/
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install

Once you get everything setup, ping me and I'll point you to some code to look at.

Happy Hacking,
Jeff

Olin Shivers

Oct 29, 2010, 4:11:16 PM10/29/10
to edwin-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to miss meeting. Sunday hacking ?

Jeff Dlouhy

Oct 31, 2010, 4:37:50 PM10/31/10
to edwin-...@googlegroups.com

> Sorry to miss meeting. Sunday hacking ?

I have to study for my Algorithms Midterm that is tomorrow, so I can't spent a ton of time on hacking today. It's already late as it is responding to this email.

Right now though I am helping Dan get setup on scsh 0.7 and giving him the overview of the project. Where we are, where we've been, and where we're going.

Roderic and I had dinner with Duncan and Shelly last night. I stayed a little later than Roderic and got a refresher on some things related to Edwin.

In addition to helping Dan, today I'm going through and finishing my command-table docs and fixing up some of our packages files to clean up the warnings we're getting with redefined structures. On the Cosmacs front, I'm working on fixing a weird bug where the command table with the current mode's commands are visible in one package but not in the package that is dispatching on it. More details on that front to follow.

- Jeff