Tcltutor like program for python

Noufal Ibrahim

Apr 9, 2007, 6:30:24 AM4/9/07
to edup...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
   I mentioned a plan of mine to make a TclTutor like python program once on the python-tutor list. Someone there mentioned the edupython lists interest in such a program.
   I spent a little while coding up a prototype. I've built the interface and 7 lessons loosely based on the standard python tutorial by Guido.

   The program uses Tkinter for the GUI and a simple XML format to keep the lessons in. The code is available at http://nibrahim.net.in/downloads/pydagogue-0.1.tgz .

   I'd appreciate any comments/feedback on the project. It's in it's early stages so I should be able to make changes without any major hassles.

Thanks.

--
~noufal

Andre

Apr 11, 2007, 6:35:54 AM4/11/07
to edupython
On Apr 9, 7:30 am, "Noufal Ibrahim" <nou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I mentioned a plan of mine to make a TclTutor like python program once on
> the python-tutor list. Someone there mentioned the edupython lists interest
> in such a program.
> I spent a little while coding up a prototype. I've built the interface
> and 7 lessons loosely based on the standard python tutorial by Guido.

Well done; I really like the look of the interface.

> The program uses Tkinter for the GUI and a simple XML format to keep the
> lessons in. The code is available athttp://nibrahim.net.in/downloads/pydagogue-0.1.tgz.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments/feedback on the project. It's in it's early
> stages so I should be able to make changes without any major hassles.

I don't have any concrete suggestions to make for improvements.

Not to steal this thread but, in case you don't know about it yet, I'd
suggest you take a look at crunchy.
You can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/

Just to provide a brief comparison:
Crunchy uses Firefox instead of a Tkinter window for the GUI.
It uses html (with small additional markup) instead of a custom XML
format
for the lessons.

I believe (but then again I am biased) that Crunchy is more flexible
than pydagogue.
And I would be interested in your comments on it.

André