Researching Article: Survey of Python for Kids

Michael Tobis

Mar 22, 2007, 5:58:13 PM3/22/07
to edu...@python.org, edup...@googlegroups.com
I will be writing an article in the next Python Papers ( http://pythonpapers.cgpublisher.com/ ) ; a survey of Python in pre-college education, and an introduction to the issues raised by the still highly unresolved interface between software and education.

The article will be broad rather than deep, but hopefully will provide enough extra push to preserve the momentum of discussion in the Python community about deeper issues that got such an enormous boost at the last PyCon.

I'm a fairly quick writer so I will put off the writing until the last week. I have about two weeks to collect information.

In addition to the stuff mentioned on http://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig/ I intend to also touch on
   Crunchy Frog
   Alice
   Patapata
   Jython and web-based environments
   the PyCon 2007 keynotes by Goldberg, Lefkowitz and Krstic

Please contact me directly or reply to this message if you know of any other projects or ideas that are deserving of mention in this article. I'd like to complete my research for this survey article by April 2.

I am also interested in hearing from you if
   - you have taught classes in Python as a first programming language, especially for pre-college age audiences
   - you have released software that is targeted at beginning programmers which either exposes Python or uses Python under the hood
   - you are developing such software
   - you have or can point me to any historical background, especially about CP4E

This may also serve as an occasion to update the edu-sig page!

Michael Tobis

kirby urner

Mar 22, 2007, 11:39:44 PM3/22/07
to Michael Tobis, edu...@python.org, edup...@googlegroups.com
> Please contact me directly or reply to this message if you know of any other
> projects or ideas that are deserving of mention in this article. I'd like to
> complete my research for this survey article by April 2.

Hi Michael --

I teach Python pre-college via Saturday Academy in Portland, Oregon
per page 31 of the current catalog. Also taught 8th graders Python in
one of our flagship public schools (Winterhaven PPS).

My CP4E resources are at http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html

I was the original designer and maintainer of the current edu-sig home page
(pre "new look" with the cool new Python Nation logo 'n all).

Kirby

Douglas S. Blank

Mar 23, 2007, 10:35:46 AM3/23/07
to edup...@googlegroups.com, mto...@gmail.com
Michael,

We will begin expanding our college-level Python-based materials from
CS1 (intro) to high school this summer. Our goals are, briefly:

- create an engaging new method for teaching intro to CS
- use robots and Python
- each student has her own robot (a "personal robot")
- robots are designed to be used, not built or "hacked on" (ie, no
exposed electronics or wiring)
- we are designing a robot, software, and curricular materials
- designed to have a great appeal to all students, especially those
non-traditional students (women and minorities)
- focus on "computation" not robots, programming, mechanical
engineering, or electronics

This is being created by the Institute for Personal Robots in Education
(IPRE):
http://www.roboteducation.org/

The IPRE is hosted at the Georgia Institute of Technology and Bryn Mawr
College (an all-women's liberal arts college).

The materials-in-progress can be found on our wiki, here:
http://wiki.roboteducation.org/Introduction_to_Computer_Science_via_Robots

This summer I'll begin teaching high school teachers in the Philadelphia
region the materials.

At this year's ACM SIGCSE (Special Interest Group in Computer Science
Education) it was mentioned that 25% of all colleges are using Python in
some fashion. I predict that within 5 to 7 years Python will be the
leader in CS1 languages used in colleges, which will trigger their
appeal in high school AP and other courses.

Let me know if you would like any more information. Thanks!

-Doug