Call to Action (PyCon)

Vern Ceder

Nov 12, 2009, 1:14:48 PM11/12/09
to edu...@python.org, edup...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This is a call for help on a couple of fronts.

First of all, I could really use your help in promoting the poster
session at PyCon. The nature of posters make them a good fit for both
Python educators and their students. Undergrads and graduate students
(and teachers) can use them as a way to get conference presentation
experience and recognition, and virtual posters let students and
teachers at any level get in on the fun, even if they can't come to
Atlanta.

So please, promote, blog, etc the poster session to your friends and
colleagues as much as you can. Again, all information is at
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/posters/ and don't hesitate to email
me if you have any questions. If you have contacts that you think would
be more responsive to a semi-official announcement/invitation/groveling
plea from me, please send me their contact info and I'll get something
to them.

Secondly, we have the chance to put our stamp on PyCon. It wouldn't take
that much to move our unofficial BoF to being a regular education
"summit" and standard feature of PyCon. What it *would* take is someone
to own the job of basic planning and outreach to the Python in Ed
community, particularly those within easy attendance range of Atlanta.
If anyone is willing to do that, but either can't attend PyCon or feels
uncomfortable moderating the actual event, I'd be willing to be an
on-site figurehead of last resort. ;)

Given that the southeast includes so many excellent schools at all
levels, it could be a great time to turn up our outreach, and it would
demonstrate that Edu-Sig is one of the leading communities (which I
happen to believe) within the greater Python community.

So please consider taking this on. And please help plug the poster
session - it would be great to have a strong education presence as we
add posters to PyCon.

Thanks,
Vern

--
This time for sure!
-Bullwinkle J. Moose

kirby urner

Nov 12, 2009, 4:55:37 PM11/12/09
to Vern Ceder, edu...@python.org, edup...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Vern Ceder
<vce...@canterburyschool.org> wrote:

<< trim >>

> So please consider taking this on. And please help plug the poster session -
> it would be great to have a strong education presence as we add posters to
> PyCon.
>
> Thanks,
> Vern

Hi Vern --

I forwarded your edu-sig post verbatim with a bit of an intro,
encouraging our Portland User Group to spread the word regarding this
new opportunity:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/portland/2009-November/000856.html

It may take a few Pycons for this practice to really gain traction. I
haven't been following the apac.pycon organizer list so don't know if
that Pycon will feature a similar poster session or has plans to
institute same down the road. My sense is the various Pycons copy
from each other, so whatever works will in Atlanta has good chance of
spreading.

We're ramping up around Python in our multi-media events,
experimenting with a kind of recruiting front end that's
participatory, spoken word and music, using Lightning Talks as a guide
(karaoke also apropos). The goal is to attract students to a whole
set of free skool type classes where relevant skill sets might be
cultivated.

In other news: PEP 3003 will freeze the Python language long enough
to help VMs catch up, focus energy on expanding libraries. Google has
a new open source Go language....

Kirby