How do you cultivate your PLN?

Rebecca

Aug 2, 2011, 9:45:43 PM8/2/11
to eduMOOC
Hi all,

I just posted a list to my blog on various ways I cultivate my PLN
(http://rjh.goingeast.ca/2011/08/03/cultivating-my-personal-learning-
network-edumooc/) including blogging, twitter chats, twitter hash
tags, and outreach.

How do you cultivate your personal learning network?

I'm looking forward to sharing at Jeff's MOOC hangout tomorrow!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Vanessa Vaile

Aug 17, 2011, 1:45:39 AM8/17/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on a meandering PLN post but given my track record mooc-blogging, here's the short list:

Primary: Google Reader, Delicious, Twitter, email, Google groups, Facebook groups

Secondary (not using much if at all for this course, although most I use regularly, some to distraction): Blogger (a lot just not here, not this time), Diigo, Posterous, NetVibes, Scoop.it, Paper.li (the main course discovery I'm taking home with me this time, four going, none immediately mooc related)

Osvaldo Rodriguez

Aug 17, 2011, 9:58:48 AM8/17/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

We conform a group of seven researchers from academic institutions around the world (Canada, US, Belgium, Turkey and Argentina) who are very much interested in how to advance in Open Online Education.

SURVEY EduMOOC 2011

We would like to invite participants in EduMOOC 2011 to help us in this study and to fill out a survey on their experiences in this Massive Open Online Course. It is very short (2 minutes of your time). The survey is intended to all learners in EduMOOC.
The Survey can be found here
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/26YDBDZ

Osvaldo

C. Osvaldo RODRIGUEZ
cor...@yahoo.com

Apostolos K.

Aug 18, 2011, 9:10:03 AM8/18/11
to eduMOOC
Actually... I don't consciously develop my PLN (so I am not sure that
I would apply the PLN term to it) - but whatever it's called here's my
own:

Primary:
* email among colleagues at work and fellow researchers
* Google Reader (aka RSS reader)
* Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+
* Collecting links on delicious (but I don't do that as often)
* I blog whenever inspiration strikes

MOOCs are definitely secondary, but I have met people in MOOCs that
have become part of my LinkedIn and Twitter networks and whose blogs I
follow and comment on, so the MOOC is sort of like the feeder system
for my PLN ;-)

Osvaldo Rodriguez

Aug 18, 2011, 9:15:38 AM8/18/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com

Vanessa Vaile

Aug 18, 2011, 2:55:11 PM8/18/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I would not say I consciously develop mine either. It evolves, shape
shifts, morphs when I'm not paying attention. In the sense of testing
apps to add and looking for ways to manage information without going
nuts and so I can find it later, maybe I do cultivate but more in the
sense of tend than develop. Every now and again (usually in a mooc or
Vance's Multiliteracies ) the question comes up. Then I have think
about what it is and what and who are in it. That last reminds that
learning networks are neither new nor necessary tech constructed

Slacked off on Google+ ... a combination of learning curve and
bandwidth issues; tomorrow file for the nonce ~ jury's still out

fwiw you can tweet, bookmark on delicious, send to blog directly from
Google reader, very handy.

--
Vanessa Vaile
Mountainair NM

Vanessa Vaile

Aug 18, 2011, 3:39:36 PM8/18/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I've got reservations about some of the questions and how they affect
survey validity, even reinforce biases thus invalidating outcomes,
but will give it another try and just skip the questionable questions
if I can