Re: [eduMOOC] Digest for edumooc@googlegroups.com - 5 Messages in 3 Topics

Larolyn Zylicz

Dec 19, 2011, 8:36:06 AM12/19/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Is this still active?

>>> <edumooc...@googlegroups.com> 7/26/2011 10:56 PM >>>

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/edumooc/topics

    Rebecca <rjh...@gmail.com> Jul 26 07:38AM -0700 ^

    Tim,

    I really like the shift from "anytime, anywhere" to "all the time,
    everywhere". I think that does describe the intersection of learner-centric
    and device-centric quite well.

    Now to do some more research into the term uLearning - it has been used
    already, but I'm not sure in what context.

    Cheers,
    Rebecca

    Scott HJ <scot...@gmail.com> Jul 25 11:30PM -0700 ^

    My goal this week is to collect my thoughts around what I'm doing
    here. Why am I attracted to the MOOC format as a structure for
    learning? The presence of so many talented and diversly informed
    people clearly enhances the experience but there are factors that draw
    us here beyond the social--a "property" of the MOOC environment that
    begs discovery.

    Why am I here? So far in all the time I've spent MOOCing the same
    answer never repeats. Specifically, this week I'd like to understand
    my reaction to a recently attempted course I dropped out of. The
    material was fine and the old-school correspondence format that in the
    past had never bothered me before just seemed empty. Oddly, I had the
    impression that though I cared about the course, it didn't care about
    me. Never feel that way in a MOOC. More like it won't leave me in
    peace long enough to complete a thought.

    ..and read the report.

    Scott

    buf...@verizon.net Jul 26 08:46AM -0500 ^

    You must include the work of Richard Stallman. Rebel Code by Glyn Moody is a nice read.

    On 07/25/11, Apostolos K.<a.koutr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    My Goal for this week is to get a more complete picture of Open

    Education.

    This year I've been quite interested in designing a course on Open

    Education (for graduate students) and I have a lot of ideas in mind;

    including OER, OLI, OCW, Digital Storytelling, MOOCs and PLEs (were

    those enough acronyms or what? :-) ). I'm interested in seeing what

    people think the salient points for all of the above are, getting some

    good sources, some best practices, and (perhaps?) crowd-source a

    syllabus for such an Open Course (Open Course, Open Syllabus, eh?) or

    at least get enough ideas that writing the syllabus will be as easy as

    eating pie ;-)

    Anil <aple...@gmail.com> Jul 25 10:58PM -0700 ^

    Hi friends,

    Sixth week at EduMOOC, by topic name, seems to be a week for reviewing
    the business process and their social implications relating to
    various business models of ODL systems - Public, Private & Open -
    Onbline Learning.

    I found the following two blogs written by Sir John Daniel, President
    and Chief Executive Officer of Commonwealth of Learning (http://
    www.col.org/BLOG) very much relevant to this week’s EduMOOC topic.

    eLearning and for-profit provision of higher education
    Observing Private-Private and Public-Private Partnerships in Higher
    Education

    In the first blog Sir John Daniel discusses three important findings
    in a report by Tony Bates titled “2011 Outlook for Online Learning and
    Distance Education”. This includes (1) 21% expansion of enrolment in
    fully online (distance) courses in the USA between 2009 and 2010
    compared to a 2% expansion in campus-based enrolments,(2) the fact
    that despite this growth institutional goals for eLearning are
    unambitious (3) in the USA the for-profit sector has a much higher
    proportion of the total online market (32%) compared to its share of
    the overall higher education market (7%).

    He also refer to some interesting information available in Whitney's
    recent newsletter including an article by Howard Horton on the Online
    Imperative in Higher Education.

    In the second blog Sir John Daniel discusses the for-profit and public-
    private partnership systems in higher education.

    Links

    http://www.col.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=110
    http://www.col.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=151

    Warm regards,

    Anil
    http://www.apletters.blogspot.com
    http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasad

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official. (NCGS.Ch.132)