pllease remove

Mark Crawford

Aug 12, 2011, 12:39:59 AM8/12/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
please remove for mailing list
----- Original Message -----
From: edumooc...@googlegroups.com
To: "Digest Recipients" <edumooc...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:09:17 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: [eduMOOC] Digest for edu...@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 3 Topics

Today's Topic Summary

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/edumooc/topics

• Week Seven; Collaboratives, Collectives and Clouds [1 Update]
• Need to redefine what a MOOC is? [2 Updates]
• Please help edit the Wikipedia article on MOOCs (before it disappears) [1 Update]

Topic: Week Seven; Collaboratives, Collectives and Clouds

Murray Turoff <murray...@gmail.com> Aug 11 04:48PM -0700 ^
i regret you have not had a chance ot experience online collaborative oriented courses. The research that has been done on evaluation of online courses has shown a great deal of evidence that collaboration is what makes an online course very successful in terms of learning outcomes. See the two books that roxanne hilitz has published in this area. http://is.njit.edu/hiltz the following paper on my website will give you a good set of examples of collaboration by both all the students in a class and also by teams. Turoff, M., Hiltz, S. R., Li, Z., Wang, Y., Cho, H., Yao, X., (2004) Online Collaborative Learning Enhancement through the Delphi Method, Proceedings of the OZCHI 2004 Conference, November 22-24, University of Wollongong, Australia It is my view face to face classes can be much better when online collaboration among students is included. there is a paper on my website about that subject (no more segregation of distance students from face to face students) Turoff, Murray (1999) An End to Student Segregation: No More Separation Between Distance Learning and Regular Courses. A summary of the invited plenary for the Telelearning 99 meeting in Montreal, Canada, November, 1999. (Also: ppt presentation used in talk.) On Aug 10, 11:23 am, Ulises Escárcega Prieto <makarenk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Topic: Need to redefine what a MOOC is?

Lisa M Lane <lisah...@gmail.com> Aug 11 08:50AM -0700 ^
My new blog post on this issue of what is a MOOC is here: http://is.gd/uRFTXz .

Osvaldo Rodriguez <cor...@yahoo.com> Aug 11 10:17AM -0700 ^
Hi Lisa If you define a MOOC as in Dave Cormier’s following presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cljmHZi2oUc or in the Educause paper by Cormier/Siemens, you need to add another necessary condition to your definition of MOOC: learners and facilitators must engage in a many to many interaction to start knowledge negotiation. This condition is what fascinates me on MOOCs. Structured not structured is not important. To pay for a book, that can be easily resolved by the facilitators by alternative OER material. A Massive course has of course much higher chances for succeeding if these interactions are to take place. In Jeff Lebows first MOOCast, Dave Cormier stated an estimate of around 100 people to start achieving this engagement. I believe you can still have very fruitful many to many interactions with smaller groups. But then, are we not back to OOC + knowledge negotiation? Osvaldo C. Osvaldo RODRIGUEZ cor...@yahoo.com ________________________________ From: Lisa M Lane <lisah...@gmail.com> To: eduMOOC <edu...@googlegroups.com> Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:50 PM Subject: [eduMOOC] Re: Need to redefine what a MOOC is? My new blog post on this issue of what is a MOOC is here: http://is.gd/uRFTXz .

Topic: Please help edit the Wikipedia article on MOOCs (before it disappears)

Scott HJ <scot...@gmail.com> Aug 10 08:40PM -0700 ^
MOOCs do seem to come in a range of "flavors" unique to the presenters's choice of topics. And clearly some variation emerges from how and where the participants choose to set up their discussions. I think these variables can be drawn into our entry and be listed as characteristics that run through all MOOCs to some degree or another. Instead of trying to identify varieties why don't we keep the chronological list and focus on what makes them all the same? In many ways, the Stanford course may be the the most useful "version" of a MOOC yet. Cleared of ambiguity in structure and control we might actually find that a level of chaos suits the MOOC genre. That messiness defines a MOOC seems to me to be a given. Does that messiness serve a knowable purpose? This could be a chance to identify qualities that are lost in "noise" of a "traditional" MOOC. MOOCs are anything but resolved and this is a difficult project. Thanks for your continued work while I fool around with philosophical silliness. Scott

---