Forum Assignment Posted

Joyce Dibble

Sep 30, 2007, 5:36:43 PM9/30/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great job this weekend everyone, you all made a lot of progress!
This week's forum assignment is now linked to the schedule page. The forum is ready for your responses - the due date is 10/07/07. Please follow the instructions on the assignment page http://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dibblej/233/assignments/233_forum_wq_093007.html

If you have any questions, please email me.

To ask me a private question - sent the email to jdi...@csus.edu

To share your question with the group - send the email to edt...@googlegroups.com

Joyce Dibble M.A. Ed
iMET Instructor
College of  Education, Eureka Hall 218
Department of Teacher Education
California State University Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6079

--
Joyce Dibble

Jaclyn Imrie

Oct 1, 2007, 1:43:30 PM10/1/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com

Hey Joyce
I had a mix up with group 3, Kerri and Nicki, and was supposed to be with them.  I signed up quickly and left to get home to Napa with out telling them I had already signed up.  I have talked to them since and we are all together now.  Sorry for the confusion.
Jaclyn Imrie

Shelley Ross User

Oct 1, 2007, 2:01:56 PM10/1/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com

Joyce Dibble

Oct 1, 2007, 11:53:01 PM10/1/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks.
Just want to make sure that everyone was on the same page about who they we going to work with.

Joyce

scout...@yahoo.com

Oct 2, 2007, 9:08:07 PM10/2/07
to edte233
Hello! The following are my responses to our forum assignment.

1. Problem-based learning is an effective way for students to learn.
When students are engrossed in an activity that is generated through
their own excitement of a subject, more learning occurs. With in
problem-based learning, students draw on prior knowledge, are exposed
to real-world context, and reinforce their learning by working with
their peers. Traditional modes of learning tend to focus on lecture
and test - students listens to what the teacher says and regurgitates
what has been told to them. Problem-based learning encourages
students to learn by doing - an ancient apprenticeship practice. The
greatest difference between traditional teaching and problem-based
learning is found within the characteristics of problem-based
learning. Learning is student centered, teachers act like a coach,
students learn in small and/or independent groups and utilize self and
peer assessments.
2. My current thinking about my group's final project revolves around
Google documents and forum pages. Kim Brenneman suggested created a
faculty meeting centered around how to use this program. It might be
interesting to figure out how to set the meeting up in a way were
teachers become self-learners. I'm not sure what the actual project
will look like or what interesting activities we'll incorporate, but
I'm excited to get started.
3. Problem-based learning is something that teachers are experts with
- they just might not know it. I believe that teachers are excited
about creating curriculum and showing their students new ways to
tackle a problem. If our project indeed centers around facilitating a
faculty meeting, I believe teachers would find new and interesting
technology to share with their students. I know that faculty meeting
that seem purposeless or does not help my students seem like a waste
of time. A faculty meeting that helps make my job a little easier and
is meaningful is one that I'm happy I attended.
4. The biggest challenge of associated with problem-based learning is
what I call the "appearance factor" - if it looks like chaos, it is
chaos. As we learned in the article we read in class -
"Constructivism in the classroom: if I teach this way, am I doing my
job?" - administrators see active learning as not learning. We are so
conditioned to think that lectured-based instruction and benchmark
tests are good that we fail to see that real learning occurs when
students work together and work with and in real life situations.
5. I have begun researching topics such as faculty meetings, active
learning, and Google docs. I will have further data and information
in the following weeks once I have spoken with my group members.
6. Refining my concept will occur in the following weeks.
7. Can't wait to respond to my peers posts! I hope you all have a
great week.
Kristen Brand

On Sep 30, 2:36 pm, "Joyce Dibble" <jedib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great job this weekend everyone, you all made a lot of progress!
> This week's forum assignment is now linked to the schedule page. The forum
> is ready for your responses - the due date is 10/07/07. Please follow the

> instructions on the assignment pagehttp://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dibblej/233/assignments/233_forum_wq_0930...

> If you have any questions, please email me.
>

> To ask me a private question - sent the email to jdib...@csus.edu

> To share your question with the group - send the email to
> edt...@googlegroups.com
>
> Joyce Dibble M.A. Ed
> iMET Instructor
> College of Education, Eureka Hall 218
> Department of Teacher Education
> California State University Sacramento
> 6000 J Street
> Sacramento, CA 95819-6079
> T (916) 278-7442
> F (916) 278-6643

> jdib...@csus.eduhttp://imet.csus.eduhttp://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dibblej
>
> --
> Joyce Dibble

Message has been deleted

beckypolicar

Oct 3, 2007, 7:09:05 PM10/3/07
to edte233
1. Problem based learning prepares students for "real-world"
experiences by asking them to participate in a small group setting
where they must solve a problem/situation. In a business setting,
this is used on a daily basis to complete any type of project. Within
a group there are people who each have their own expertise working
together with one goal in mind. This is exactly what we are asking
students to do when they are participating in PBL activities. The
more I think about PBL, I like it more and more. The application to
life makes so much more sense than our educational system of today
that was based around the industrial revolution. Yes we are preparing
students in terms of teaching them specific subjects, but are we
really preparing them for life after school? We need to show them how
the subjects are integrated and PBL gives us the opportunity to do
that. In order to use it effectively in the classroom. I believe it
would require teachers spending more time collaborating with their
colleagues to come up with problems that are more cross-curricular in
nature.
2. After speaking with Erin and Karen, we are looking at doing a
project that is based on current events or special issues, such as
racism. We want to help the students learn how to find valid sources
of news using various types of technology.
3. I believe that PBL could be used in a math classroom as an
alternative type of assessment. This would be a great way to see how
much of the material the students have learned and if they are able to
apply it to a real-world problem. Wow, I just got it, this really
would be a fun assessment, maybe a project at first, while I work out
all of the kinks.
4. There are many challenges that come with the implementation of
PBL. The first is the amount of time the teacher will need to put
into the research that is required to have a decent problem to work
on. Another obstacle that is in the way is that most classrooms are
not really set up for a PBL system. The class periods are rather
short, which can be worked around, but longer periods would be more
beneficial. I also think that the parents are not really prepared for
schools to go to PBL. It would require time to educate parents as
well as teachers on the benefits of this type of teaching strategy.
5. Yes there are resources out there for our project. A webquest is
one method that could be used in order to cover our topic of teaching
students to find valid sources of information.
6. We will be able to refine our topic once we have had a chance to
spend a little more time working on it together.

On Sep 30, 2:36 pm, "Joyce Dibble" <jedib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Great job this weekend everyone, you all made a lot of progress!
> This week's forum assignment is now linked to the schedule page. The forum
> is ready for your responses - the due date is 10/07/07. Please follow the

> instructions on the assignment pagehttp://www.csus.edu/indiv/d/dibblej/233/assignments/233_forum_wq_0930...

> If you have any questions, please email me.
>

> To ask me a private question - sent the email to jdib...@csus.edu

> To share your question with the group - send the email to
> edt...@googlegroups.com
>
> Joyce Dibble M.A. Ed
> iMET Instructor
> College of Education, Eureka Hall 218
> Department of Teacher Education
> California State University Sacramento
> 6000 J Street
> Sacramento, CA 95819-6079
> T (916) 278-7442
> F (916) 278-6643

Robert Lemmon

Oct 8, 2007, 5:40:16 PM10/8/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com
Joyce Dibble,

I am sorry my first post was posted just now (1 day late). I procrastinated until yesterday then I couldn't figure out that I needed to be logged in to the COE forum to be able to post. I thought it was connected to a google forum. My fault but I responded to two others as well and posted my response.

Robert Lemmon

Robert Lemmon

Oct 8, 2007, 5:41:59 PM10/8/07
to edt...@googlegroups.com
OOOPS! Erase if you are not Joyce Dibble! Sorry to send this out to everyone.