Building Solidarity With "Idle No More”: Sunday, January 27 @ Allendale Hall

1 view

Council of Canadians Edmonton

Jan 18, 2013, 5:30:14 PM1/18/13
to edmont...@googlegroups.com
Building Solidarity With "Idle No More”

Presented by the Council of Canadians - Edmonton Chapter

Featuring Tanya Kappo
Sunday, January 27
6:00-9:00 pm
Allendale Community Hall (6330-105 A Street)

Wondering what the Idle No More Movement is all about?
Concerned about the Harper government’s Omnibus Budget Bill C-45?
Want to oppose Harper’s assault on our rights and our environment?

Please join Tanya Kappo, a founding member of Idle No More, for a discussion about this movement.

6:00-7:00 - Light food and drink, live music and mingling
7:00-9:00 – Talk by Tanya Kappo on Idle No More; planning to support January 28 Idle No More Day of Action

An RSVP to Martin....@ualberta.ca by January 25 appreciated!

About Tanya Kappo

Tanya Kappo,  an Edmonton-based articling law student, was raised on the Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation Reserve in Alberta. She was the first to use the hashtag #IdleNoMore to inform Albertans about how the federal government’s Omnibus Budget Bill C-45 will affect aboriginal rights across Canada. Tanya is especially concerned about changes that will further open access to resource exploitation on treaty lands, seriously weaken local control over water, land and air, and erode aboriginal rights to protect their own culture and language. Bill C-45 and other recent federal legislation are also a threat to the rights of all Canadians outside an elite of resource investors. Tanya welcomes all Canadians to support the Idle No More movement.