[Edmonton CofC] Event! - Edmonton Chapter AGM

1 view

Council of Canadians Edmonton

Jun 6, 2012, 2:16:03 PM6/6/12
to edmont...@googlegroups.com, Richard Merry, sol...@ualberta.ca, off...@pialberta.org
COUNCIL OF CANADIANS EDMONTON CHAPTER
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
THURSDAY, JUNE 14, 2012 @ 7:00 PM
STRATHCONA PUBLIC LIBRARY
Upstairs, 104 Street and 84 Avenue

You are cordially invited to attend The Edmonton Chapter of the Council of Canadians’ Annual General Meeting.

The official purpose of the Annual General meeting is to elect an Executive Committee for the 2012-2013 year. While we have people returning for the positions of Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer, we always need more committed members to serve on our monthly planning/action meetings. As well, you are welcome to nominate anyone for the above executive positions. Please forward any nominations to Richard Merry at gce...@shaw.ca.

This will be an interesting event with a planned presentation by Professor Tom Keating, U of A Political Science, on the Effects of Free Trade and the impending Comprehensive European Trade Agreement (CETA). These deals continue to threaten local control of our environment and economy. More speakers may yet be confirmed. We will also have some informative video clips on “System Change, Not Climate Change”.

LIGHT REFRESHMENTS WILL BE SERVED.

PLEASE JOIN US TO HELP CONTINUE OUR WORK INTO 2012/2013!

We have done some exciting work in 2011-12, in particular around the issue of water.  Our events and actions have included the following :

·         Jessica Ernst, an Environmental Scientist turned Activist, spoke on her massive fight against Hydraulic Fracking for deep well gas which has poisoned her water supply in Southern Alberta
·         Professor Karlis Muellenbachs, Earth and Atmospheric Scientist, also spoke on Hydraulic Fracturing and It’s Impacts on Groundwater in Alberta .
·         Glenn Isaacs, North Saskatchewan Riverkeeper, spoke on the contamination of the North Saskatchewan River System,
·         Participation in a protest at the U of A for their misguided honorary degree to Nestle Corporation’s CEO Peter Braebeck-Lamanthe, for his efforts to privatize/commodify/marketize H2O, a basic human right.
·         Participation in a number of local events, protests and petitions including the World Water Week, Parkland Conference, Occupy Movement, Robocall Scandal, Northern Gateway Pipeline Hearings, and others.