TONIGHT! Protecting Alberta’s Water Commons: Challenges and Opportunities

Council of Canadians Edmonton

Mar 21, 2013, 1:57:31 PM3/21/13
to edmont...@googlegroups.com
Despite the inclement weather to mark the first day of spring in Edmonton, hope you can all still join us tonight to hear from a panel of experts about challenges to Alberta's water!

Protecting Alberta’s Water Commons: Challenges and Opportunities
Thursday, March 21 (7:00 – 9:00 PM)
Telus Centre Room 134
Corner of 111 Street and 87 Avenue, U of A Campus

Facebook event page.

Is Alberta’s water being managed sustainably? Many Albertans are uncertain of how our precious inheritance, the water that collects on and under the land, will be protected for its essential uses by human and non-human life here.

We are hearing that:
* Water reservoir levels are dwindling while levels of pollution and ecological imbalance in these waters are rising at an alarming rate
* While global warming relentlessly reduces supply, demand by industry, agriculture, and urban dwellers is rapidly increasing (e.g. the use of water for underground “fracking” for fossil fuels)
* The pressure on government to make unsustainable water allocations/licenses is growing
* Our water commons are increasingly under threat of commodification by private interests

What legislation, policy, and guidelines are in place to ensure a sustainable supply of fresh water in Alberta? What are the strengths and weaknesses of these? How can we as citizens participate in protecting Alberta’s water now and for future generations?

To find answers to these questions, please join the Council of Canadians Edmonton Chapter and our guest speakers:

* Cindy Chiasson – Executive Director, Environmental Law Centre
* Rachel Notley – Environment Critic, Alberta New Democrats
* Shannon Stunden-Bowers – Research Director, Parkland Institute

Presented by the Council of Canadians Edmonton Chapter, co-sponsored by the Parkland Institute.