World Water Week events by the Council of Canadians and other Edmonton organizations

Council of Canadians Edmonton

Mar 7, 2013, 6:33:32 PM3/7/13
to edmont...@googlegroups.com
The Council of Canadians-Edmonton Chapter is pleased to present a panel discussion on the future of water legislation and governance as part of Edmonton Water Week 2013. A number of other organizations are also hosting events during the week, which runs from March 18-22, 2013.

Hope to see you on March 21, and throughout the week!

-Council of Canadians-Edmonton Chapter

Protecting Alberta's Water Commons: Challenges and Opportunities
Thursday, March 21 (7:00 – 9:00 PM)
Telus Centre Room 134
Corner of 111 Street and 87 Avenue, U of A Campus

Is Alberta’s water being managed sustainably? Many Albertans are uncertain of how our precious inheritance, the water that collects on and under the land, will be protected for its essential uses by human and non-human life here.

We are hearing that:

* Water reservoir levels are dwindling while levels of pollution and ecological imbalance in these waters are rising at an alarming rate
* While global warming relentlessly reduces supply, demand by industry, agriculture, and urban dwellers is rapidly increasing (e.g. the use of water for underground “fracking” for fossil fuels)
* The pressure on government to make unsustainable water allocations/licenses is growing
* Our water commons are increasingly under threat of commodification by private interests

What legislation, policy, and guidelines are in place to ensure a sustainable supply of fresh water in Alberta? What are the strengths and weaknesses of these? How can we as citizens participate in protecting Alberta’s water now and for future generations?

To find answers to these questions, please join the Council of Canadians Edmonton Chapter and our guest speakers:

* Cindy Chiasson - Executive Director, Environmental Law Centre
* Rachel Notley - Environment Critic, Alberta New Democrats
* Shannon Stunden-Bowers - Research Director, Parkland Institute

Presented by the Council of Canadians Edmonton Chapter, co-sponsored by the Parkland Institute.

MONDAY, MARCH 18

Film Screening of Bottled Life: The Truth About Nestle’s Business with Water
Monday, March 18 (5:30 – 7:00 pm)
University of Alberta, Education South Rm. 107

Join the Council of Canadians, Cinema Politica, APIRG, and the Back the Tap Coalition to celebrate Bottled Water Free Day 2013 with a screening of the award-winning documentary, “Bottled Life: The Truth about Nestle’s Business with Water”.

The Nestlé Corporation currently controls more than 70 of the world's bottled water brands, including Perrier, San Pellegrino, PureLife, and Arrowhead.  Nestle’s annual sales of bottled water alone total some $10 billion.  The bottled water industry sees water as a commodity - privately owned, bought and sold for a profit.

Last year, the University of Alberta awarded Nestle Chair Peter Brabeck-Letmathe an honorary degree and Nestle Corporation continues to influence campuses and communities across Canada.

This event is part of the March 2013 Solidarity Week. For more information on Solidarity Week events, please visit: www.solidarityweek.wordpress.com

TUESDAY, MARCH 19

Save Our Lakes: The Health Impacts of Toxic Blue-Green Algae Blooms in Alberta
Tuesday, March 19 (6:00 pm - 8:30 pm)
Atrium and Lecture Theatre 150, Telus Building
Corner of 87 Avenue and 111 Street, University of Alberta campus

Come join the North Saskatchewan Riverkeeper and ALMS for an evening of discussion and education on the topic of toxic blue-green algae blooms in our lakes.

Toxic blue-green algae blooms are a known threat to swimmable, drinkable, fishable waters because of the human health impacts.

Our objectives for the evening are to provide the participants with the reasons for the concern and provide answers on what we can do and not do. Our promise is an evening that will both educate and entertain all those who attend and discussion that will impact the way we think and act regarding our Alberta lakes.

6:00 pm: Reception and information displays (light snacks and beverages provided)
6:40 pm: Welcome and Introductions
6:45 pm: Interactive Presentation on the Health Impacts of Blue-Green Algae Blooms
Presented by: Ron Zurawell, Ph.D., P.Biol., Limnologist, Water Policy Branch
Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
7:30 pm: Introduction and Screening of the CBC Nature of Things Documentary, Save My Lake
8:15 pm: Adjournment or further discussion

Please RSVP to Glenn Isaac at: gl...@saskriverkeeper.ca

For webinar registration of the presentation, visit: http://saveourlakes.eventbrite.com/

About Save My Lake:
“Imagine you’re taking a walk along the beach on a beautiful summer’s day.  If the beach in question is along the shores of Lake Winnipeg, the 10th largest freshwater lake in the world, you could be in for a surprise.  Instead of sandy beaches you find a thick, green sludge reminiscent of pea soup.  Suppose your dog thirstily laps up the water, and winds up dead an hour later (that’s exactly what happened to one beach-goer’s beloved pet in 2009).  What is happening to this once pristine lake?  As biologist Al Kristofferson says: “We all assumed, somewhat naively, that nothing would happen to Lake Winnipeg.  Well, it did.”

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20

Drinking Your Dinner: Virtual Water in Food Systems
Wednesday, March 20 (6:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
Roots on Whyte (8135 102 Street)

Join Waterlution for our first café in Edmonton investigating Virtual Water - from what’s on your plate to national exports.

Gather with inspired people, expand your professional networks and join in a dialogue to explore questions around challenges and opportunities with Alberta’s water and food systems.

Join us as we bring together provocateurs with challenging questions and guests with brilliant minds and inspiring backgrounds, to engage in dialogue around personal and collective responsibility around water from a systems-thinking approach.

Evening provocateurs:
Mark Anielski, Author of Economics of Happiness
Michael Victoria Moore, Genesis Permaculture
Kathyrn Lennon, Spoken Word Artist

Free admission with registration. Doors open at 6:30 pm. Light refreshments will be served.

Hosted and organized by Azkaa Rahman, Waterlution Associate
For more information, contact az...@waterlution.org

To learn more about Waterlution, visit www.waterlution.org

FRIDAY, MARCH 22

Regulating Alberta’s Water: Indigenous Rights, Roles and Responsibilities
Friday, March 22 (9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
Corbett Hall Room 239
University of Alberta

A day of information sharing, consultation and planning. Facilitated by Lewis Cardinal.

Sponsored by Treaty 8, Keepers of the Athabasca, and the Indigenous Peoples as Keepers of Mother Earth Project with Dr. Makere Stewart-Harawira

Funded by the KULE Institute, University of Alberta

For more information:

Freida Cardinal

Danielle Lorenz

Sunshine Treeshade Humanitarian Charity’s 6th Annual World Water Day Benefit Concert
Friday, March 22 (6:00 pm – Midnight)
Studio Music Foundation
10940-166A Street (1/2 block north of the Mayfield Inn, West Edmonton)

Free entry (donations acceped)
Sorry, no minors.

6:00 pm: Doors open - Guests can settle in, get hot foods and snacks (supper), meet and greet, view the water info displays and water themed art exhibit.

7:45 pm -7:55 pm: Raging Grannies sing a few of their social justice themed songs.

8:00 pm - 8:20 pm - The evening's Water for Life theme announcement and clean comedy by our evening's MC Charles Gahl.

8:25 pm - 12 midnight - Live original music by socially conscious artists

With Video Projections throughout by Satoreye Dreamtime.

"Let's make every day water for life day" -
Sunshine Treeshade Humanitarian Charity

With your kind support we are devoted to raising awareness and action to help save the estimated daily global average 4000+ children killed by contaminated water related conditions (World Health Organization, UNICEF data), with many further young and older getting sick and greatly suffering but surviving (often after medical intervention) , including at times contaminated-water problems in some Canadian communities.

Part of 6th Annual WATER FOR LIFE FESTIVAL