Sneaky sneakersons, tisk tisk...

packeteer

Aug 25, 2020, 6:54:57 PM8/25/20
to EditorConfig
I had been wondering for a while why I'd import some lib into my project and all the sudden my editor configs were all messed up with no way to fix them. Then today I noticed a file I had seen in various places on my hard drive but never opened...

The sneaky .editorconfig (I'll just call it "efig")

So now I can deal with it. Idk how I feel about it. Like I said, it has caused me some distress before I learned of it. I've been programming nonstop since about 1997; so if I didn't know about this, imagine how many others experience the bad touch.

Some options:
  • Officially recommend that developers who use efigs also leave a !IMPORTANT.md or something like this in the project root. In her can be short explains.
  • Standardize that editors/IDEs always prompt the user when it detects an efig.
  • The all new annual efig awareness week.
  • No more efig: Deprecate and decompose. Obviously this one won't happen. Long-live efigs I suppose.
Other than that, pretty sweet proj but it was super annoying before I realized.

So those are my feels on the sitch, you dirty little sneakachus...

Hong Xu

Aug 25, 2020, 7:59:35 PM8/25/20
to editor...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to hear that. Which editor are you using? EditorConfig is not supposed to alter your global editor preferences. If it happens, it's probably an issue in the EditorConfig plugin you installed (or the builtin feature if your editor enables it).

Hong