EditorConfig standard specification or working group?

Solar Angel

May 19, 2021, 3:27:40 AM5/19/21
to EditorConfig
I find EditorConfig very useful for company where I work to enforce coding style since company had no policy on coding style (and everybody wan't their own coding style).

Bit it was bit tedious experience, and still can't perform some actions (even not sure does specification exists or not). Find it hard to locate any order in this specification(s) for .editorconfig files. Had to look at multiple places/sources to gather information, or  just try-by-your-self to see does specification exist.

I would suggest forming EditorConfig_suggestions, EditorConfig_workgroup, and similar groups. Then form the EditorConfig draft specification published on GitHub with time table itinerary of the EditorConfig work-group.
Common work-group process: take suggestion to work-group and vote suggestion (open community voting system would be appreciated) for next draft, or return for more workout (better language). Accepted suggestion should be then put in next published version specified by work-group itinerary. And officially publish specific versions of EditorConfig standard (yearly vYYYY or quarterly vYYYY[A-D]) on GitHub or similar versioning control site.

Think some more complete "standard" would be much more appreciated by community.

thanks for reading

Hong Xu

May 19, 2021, 4:02:29 AM5/19/21
to editor...@googlegroups.com, Solar Angel
Hi Solar,

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the specification page what you are looking for? https://editorconfig-specification.readthedocs.io/

Additionally, we do voting at https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig-vote/issues

This is our board member info: https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig/wiki/Board-Member

If you think some of these info/links are too hidden, feel free to let us know and we'll try our best to make them more accessible.

Best,
Hong