Getting Started in 2024 with CI linting

Johannes H

Feb 16, 2024, 8:51:44 AMFeb 16
to EditorConfig
Hi everyone,

we want to enforce the .editorconfig files in our repos in the CI. However, `eclint`, which is mentioned in many tutorials, is archived on GitHub and didn't seem to get any updates since 5 years. The go implementation seems to be more recent, but is still in version 0.5 and apperantly not stable.
editorconfig-checker looks recent and stable and is apperantly used in the image mstruebing/editorconfig-checker on Dockerhub. Is that the best option to get started with today?
Also, Mega-Linter is mentioned, which supports many other linters, but also as a 10GB image size - instead of 23MB for editorconfig-checker.
I'm happy to write a blog article for editorconfig.org to make it easier for new developers to get started.

Hong Xu

Apr 7, 2024, 11:41:02 PMApr 7
to editor...@googlegroups.com, Johannes H
On 2/16/24 05:51, Johannes H wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> we want to enforce the .editorconfig files in our repos in the CI. However, `eclint`, which is mentioned in many tutorials, is archived on GitHub and didn't seem to get any updates since 5 years. The go implementation seems to be more recent, but is still in version 0.5 and apperantly not stable.
> editorconfig-checker <https://github.com/editorconfig-checker/editorconfig-checker>looks recent and stable and is apperantly used in the image mstruebing/editorconfig-checker <https://hub.docker.com/r/mstruebing/editorconfig-checker> on Dockerhub. Is that the best option to get started with today?
> Also, Mega-Linter <https://nvuillam.github.io/mega-linter/> is mentioned, which supports many other linters, but also as a 10GB image size - instead of 23MB for editorconfig-checker.
> I'm happy to write a blog article for editorconfig.org to make it easier for new developers to get started.

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately, I don't think we currently have an official EditorConfig-based linter that works and I don't think we have a plan for that either.

Regarding editorconfig-checker, it seems like a decent choice, but it was not developed within the official EditorConfig project. The status also seems largely unclear to me; if you have explored the various lint and written a blog post, I'm happy to be an eager reader :)

Best,
HOng