Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Sean Gaffney

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 03:31:1209-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Edith's anniversary today.

And, as some of you know, also my that of my youngest son, Dara.

In their honour today, I'm attaching a short piece I wrote in one sitting on Friday.

Trusting in your understanding,

Still.docx

Philip Brownell

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 06:34:3109-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
I am touched, Seán.
As you might expect, I see other connections as well: they are the footprints of providence and the presence of the Holy Spirit who brings meaning–ultimate concern as Tillich might have put it–in our experiences.  Edith teaches from beyond the gas chamber through her writing, and Spirit innervates.  I was struck by how she refers to God even in this dissertation from what was supposedly her atheist phase.  In Him we live, move, and have our being–we are "thrown into a world" of God's creation, with God in it–my understanding of the field perspective.  It is rich with connections like the ones you are exploring. Thank you for sharing what you have in this piece.  And now, for me, I will never pass uncaring past the name Dara again.  I cannot escape it; that name will now forever live in me as the beloved son of a friend of mine–a man I could not escape and who for some reason became providentially intertwined with me in my own journey in life.

Warm Regards,
Phil

<Still.docx>

Sean Gaffney

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 05:48:0009-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

Thank you.

And I'm sure you have ideas about who won "Round 3"...

Seán

Philip Brownell

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 07:14:0909-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Are you limping yet? (Genesis 32: 24-32)

Sean Gaffney

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 06:40:3109-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Isn't Google great when an evangelical Christian just assumes I have a bible handy, here in my kitchen in the Swedish countryside...

That's not a limp! That's something in my shoe, must be a stone or something, huh?

...oh dear, I'm barefoot...

Jácob

Philip Brownell

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 08:01:3909-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
: - )

Dan Bloom

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 08:27:3109-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Seán:

Your pieces touches me. You write with gentle eloquence.

I wish you well on this, the 9th of August.

Love,

Dan

On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:31 AM, Sean Gaffney wrote:

<Still.docx>

Sean Gaffney

ongelezen,
9 aug 2010, 08:40:2109-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dan.
--
www.egenart.info/gaffney

John Gurmin

ongelezen,
12 aug 2010, 18:05:1712-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Seán,

Thank you for sharing that intimate paper with us. It brought to my mind Jung's theory of synchronicity, i.e. in your analysis you outlined how events  combined in various ways that were potent and meaningful. Perhaps we are tapping into a universal consciousness of which we all partake (but as individuals who form the stream), such that when I am thinking of some x, then a few days later one meets Mary or Michael etc., that one was thinking about. I remember Prof. William Desmond give a talk on 'God-sends', when you are researching something and you need to find a way to bring a paper together or whatever you might put your hand on a book that is exactly fit-for-the-purpose of your study.

Also, the colours you mentioned are interesting, green and gold, are of course the Meath colours, makes one realise that there are probably 'more things in heaven and earth, [...] than are dreamt of in [...] philosophy'.

Existence is quite fascinating and shocking at the same time, I think Edith traveled in search of the meaning of existence in the early papers as was mentioned in the postings by Linda and she seems already to have had 'an idea' or an openness to the ultimate source of meaning in 'On Empathy' which she arrived at via her own rational approach. These small snippets from an atheist philosopher towards the ultimate origins (which lie outside of the phenomenological inquiry at that stage of her research) certainly meant she was opened up to something beyond via her rational investigations. Such that her last work really explored the ultimate source of meaning - 'Finite and Eternal Being'.  For me, it is quite amazing, to think of God as Pure Act, never created, just simply 'is', even if this everlasting existence is the universe itself, the self-existence of 'something' never being a nothing is a mystery to the human intellect, yet it can be conceived of given our finite limitations. We can still think infinity and that itself is another amazing aspect of the psycho-physical individual's ability.

I hope that the writings of Edith and other synchronic events will provide much strength to you especially at this time,

Haydn

LG Brownell

ongelezen,
12 aug 2010, 19:25:4112-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
H...

Absolutely Rich and Beautiful!

".....For me, it is quite amazing, to think of God as Pure Act, never created, just simply 'is', even if this everlasting existence is the universe itself (L...and I believe it is...), the self-existence of 'something' never being a nothing is a mystery to the human intellect, yet it can be conceived of given our finite limitations. We can still think infinity and that itself is another amazing aspect of the psycho-physical individual's ability......"

Se�n,
[...]
On 9 Aug 2010, at 05:40, Sean Gaffney wrote:

Thanks, Dan.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Dan Bloom <d...@djbloom.com> wrote:
Se�n:
Your pieces touches me. You write with gentle eloquence.
I wish you well on this, the 9th of August.
Love,
Dan
On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:31 AM, Sean Gaffney wrote:
Folks,

Edith's anniversary today.

And, as some of you know, also my that of my youngest son, Dara.

In their honour today, I'm attaching a short piece I wrote in one sitting on Friday.

Trusting in your understanding,

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
AwesomePennyStocks.com

Sean Gaffney

ongelezen,
13 aug 2010, 02:54:5513-08-2010
aan edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Haydn,

Thank you sincerely for your thoughtful and evocative response to my anniversary paper. I greatly appreciate it.

You add a depth of context that makes the events of the spring even more meaningful.

Warm regards,

Seán
Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden