Chapter 1

Sean Gaffney

Jul 24, 2010, 4:16:59 PM7/24/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Dear Steinians (well, okay - Sarah and Haydn),

I notice that all commentators note the absence of Chapter 1 in On The Problem of Empathy, and that there is a distinct absence even of "conspiracy theories"...

Can anybody hold a lighted candle to this omission?

And I am now reading page 5 of Empathy for the 7th. time...

Sarah Borden

Jul 25, 2010, 3:55:25 AM7/25/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sean,

I have not been following the discussion closely, and Haydn may have already addressed this.  But my understanding is that chapter 1 was not published with the text because of paper shortages during WWI.  (It was fairly long and primarily historical, setting the stage for the rest.  Husserl or Stein, or whoever made the publishing decision decided it was not necessary for the argument.)  I have not looked into this, but I am assuming that this was somewhat standard practice during the war--especially given the requirement to publish all dissertations in Germany.

A number of people have searched for copies of chapter 1 in various archives, but have yet to find it.  This surprises me a bit.  I would expect Stein to keep at least one copy--but so far that copy has not turned up, as far as I know.

Great to read in on the group--fascinating topics!

Sarah

Jul 25, 2010, 8:15:04 AM7/25/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!