Re: shame and disgust

Philip Brownell

Aug 13, 2010, 4:52:19 PM8/13/10
to An ICORS List, edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Dear John,
"Foreign experience" is the subjective experience that another person is having.  If I (person A) stand next to you (person B) and "pick up on" your affective tone, then I am having a subjective experience of a foreign experience.  Stein says A's subjective experience of foreign experience is primordial, and B's subjective experience is primordial, but that the content of B's experience is non-primordial for person A.  (Seán, do I have this right?  Are you reading this?)

Phil

On Aug 13, 2010, at 3:44 PM, john wymore wrote:

On Aug 13, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Philip Brownell wrote:

  That is, people are (as Dan and Heidegger might say) thrown together and (when addressing the subjective experience of one of them) a person experiences foreign experience.  This is a very contactful way of putting it.

I'm not sure what you mean by  foreign experience. It may mean something that was inferred instead of the pre-reflective intersubjectivity and /or empathy.

John Wymore
Albuquerque, NM