ES, Husserl and the Dissertation

1 view

LG Brownell

Aug 7, 2010, 11:13:13 AM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com, edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
You may already know this.....Husserl evidently assigned the topic of Empathy to ES for her dissertation...

Page 269, Life in a Jewish Family, 1891-1916

"Then if my preparation for the state boards.......he would give me an assignment for that examination which could subsequently be developed into a doctoral dissertation.  Now the question needed to be settled, what did I want to work on....   .....Husserl said that an objective outer world could only be experienced intersubjectively......  Accordingly, an experience of other individuals is prerequisite.  To the experience, an application of the work of Theodor Lipps, Husserl gave the name Einfuhlung (Empathy).  What it consists of however, he nowhere detailedHere was a lacuna to be filled; therefore,I wished to examine what empathy might be".

We are expecting a "maybe hurricane" this afternoon...but from the looks of things....the weather has again out-smarted the Bermuda weather forecasters.

L:)

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
AwesomePennyStocks.com

Philip Brownell

Aug 7, 2010, 12:24:26 PM8/7/10

On Aug 7, 2010, at 11:13 AM, LG Brownell wrote:

> You may already know this.....Husserl evidently assigned the topic of Empathy to ES for her dissertation...
>
> Page 269, Life in a Jewish Family, 1891-1916
>
> "Then if my preparation for the state boards.......he would give me an assignment for that examination which could subsequently be developed into a doctoral dissertation. Now the question needed to be settled, what did I want to work on.... .....Husserl said that an objective outer world could only be experienced intersubjectively...... Accordingly, an experience of other individuals is prerequisite. To the experience, an application of the work of Theodor Lipps, Husserl gave the name Einfuhlung (Empathy). What it consists of however, he nowhere detailed. Here was a lacuna to be filled; therefore,I wished to examine what empathy might be".
>
> We are expecting a "maybe hurricane" this afternoon...but from the looks of things....the weather has again out-smarted the Bermuda weather forecasters.
>
> L:)

Wow. "...an objective outer world could only be experienced intersubjectively..." Is this a phenomenal consensus? Could only be EXPERIENCED intersubjectively.

My mind is doing flip flops.

Phil

Sean Gaffney

Aug 7, 2010, 11:52:28 AM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Hurricane Phil,

Check out the full quotation: there's an additional phrase that seems to me to make a substantial difference, even though it is inferred in the extract posted by Linda:

So: "...could only be experienced intersubjectively, i.e.,through a plurality of perceiving individuals who relate in a mutual exchange of information. Accordingly, an experience of other individuals is a prerequisite......"

What do you think?

Seán

Philip Brownell

Aug 7, 2010, 12:59:31 PM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Going to the market while we can.  Get back to you as the storm gets closer.  It stalled unexpectedly and may lurch forward and pounce on us like a cat catching a mouse.

Phil

croc...@aol.com

Aug 7, 2010, 1:50:59 PM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda, Sean, et al,

I've often thought that Husserl doesn't really deal effectively with
the problem of how it is that we appear to share a world with
others--the fact that we can more or less match reports of what
happens, can actually cooperate practically, etc
Given that in his view experience "wakes up" the mind to what it
already innately knows (a priori), an important question is, "what is
it about what human beings' experience that accounts for many persons'
coming to similar awarenesses of the {apparently,reportedly) same
situation?" Of course, the original relegation out of the picture and
into the epoche of all questions about the possible existence of an
external and shared world is one of the cornerstones of his system.
So in the quotation we are looking at he bumps up against once again
the problem of the existence of other minds, and the question I stated
above about the possibility of a shared world. One explanation he
certainly rejects is that of Leibnitz who spoke of monads that are
programmed to have experience as if there were an external world that
they were all experiencing. I think logically it's difficult to avoid
solipsism beginning with Husserl's starting premises. And so we find
him struggling with the problem of the existence of other minds both in
what Stein reports, in the Cartesian Meditations, and elsewhere. The
real problem is in his starting premises. Clearly he "knew" more than
his premises let him know. Yet what he started has made for all kinds
of interesting attempts by others to broaden the approach, to hold that
we know more from experience than Husserl allowed for. And then
there's Heidegger,who starts in a very different (and in my mind a much
more realistic) way.

Sylvia

p.s. Phil and Linda, I hope the hurricane missed you!

Philip Brownell

Aug 7, 2010, 3:47:26 PM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Storm stalled south of us. We're going swimming while we can, but if we get fried by lightening, then let it be known that I agree with everyone. ; - )

Phil

PS ... but that's just the nice-guy model talking

Philip Brownell

Aug 7, 2010, 11:16:56 PM8/7/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
So, knowledge of the ontological field through consensus.  There are people who won't like that.

Phil

Sean Gaffney

Aug 8, 2010, 2:06:11 AM8/8/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

As someone wrote recently: Really?

Who?

How come?

What of it?

Seán

croc...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2010, 8:24:42 PM8/8/10

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Philip Brownell <philbr...@logic.bm>
wrote:

On Aug 7, 2010, at 11:13 AM, LG Brownell wrote:

it won't work as an argument.

Sylvia

--
www.egenart.info/gaffney

=
It doesn't work as an argument.

Sylvia

Philip Brownell

Aug 8, 2010, 9:28:35 PM8/8/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Sylvia,
I can't tell if you wrote anything in here or not. Can you make it more clear?

Phil