Third person perspective

1 view

Dan Bloom

Jul 27, 2010, 1:16:24 PM7/27/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=of-two-minds-listener-brain-pattern-2010-07-27

This is a third person confirmation. It is a “that” it happens, not “how” it happens.

John Gurmin

Jul 27, 2010, 8:14:13 PM7/27/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Very interesting article on mirror neurons and speech. So I guess as
babies we struggle to comprehend what is being said but our brain is
receptive to language and as we gain more and more words - we
comprehend more of what the speaker is saying to us (from the neural
pathways that have been set down), and so these neural paths build up
over years of communication and exposure to ideas, that we can
understand quite rapidly ordinary conversation etc., until we come to
difficult academic texts/ lectures or foreign language and then we
have to try and 'comprehend' this new material as akin to the baby
'comprehending' new insights. It's the brain's plasticity that is
fascinating, that we can actually do all this with a 'material' yet
'plastic' brain.

Thanks for sharing this link.
Haydn

Sean Gaffney

Jul 28, 2010, 3:05:31 AM7/28/10
to edith-stein...@googlegroups.com
Haydn,

I am greatly appreciative of your shift from the baby learning a language to an adult dealing with "difficult academic texts/lectures or foreign language", where this slow adaptation begins all over again...

I found that both helpful - and hopeful: you mean that by the end of Empathy I may have learned the language?

Seán