Recent Happenings

1 view

Edith Cook

Jan 20, 2022, 1:44:03 PMJan 20
to edith-cook

Dear Friends and Readers:

I mentioned my discussion group before, which originated at an auction for the Unitarian Universalist Church of Cheyenne. Here is the latest:

Our January 17 discussion group was a lively exchange between our presenter, the author Patti Sherlock, and participants. It turned into an energetic discussion on writing and related subjects. This was the only meeting we’ll have in January. Likewise in February, we’ll have but one meeting, on February 15. Our presenter will be Hailey Ellingham on the subject of Anita Hill’s most recent book, Believing: Our Journey to End Gender Violence.

Perhaps you remember the 1991 senate hearings on Clarence Thomas’s Supreme Court nomination, where the senators savaged Hill for her testimony on the sexual harassment she suffered while working with Thomas when he chaired the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (what shame).

Some revelations appear in Hill’s book that’ll make your good boil—the 1991 hearings were much more savage than the public ever knew. Importantly, Hill shows how much needs yet to be achieved to educate the public on sexual harassment, sexual abuse, and sexual assault, to respect women, and to strive for equality for all. Anita Hill lived what many women went through—and continue to go through—in the workplace. Professor Hill's expertise in systemic sexism and the harm it causes is the most pressing factor in the long battle for sexual equality and justice. We urgently need many more women senators, representatives, and justices at the federal level.

I’ll be in Texas during February but will be able to initiate and maintain the Zoom meeting from there. I'd love for any of you to join us--make a note of the date, and let me know if you wish to get the email with the zoom info.

I continue to write for the online publication, www.thechyennepost.com

You'll probably find my most recent posts the most interesting. I also secure publications now and then in literary magazines and anthologies, see my website under "Creative Writing."

Edith Cook

www.edithcook.com