Re: Edinburgh Go Club: Invitation to home Go meet, and possibilities for meeting on club nights

Rob Payne

Aug 21, 2021, 8:39:24 AM8/21/21
to Stephen C. Tweedie, edinburg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen, tomorrow afternoon sounds like a great idea. I can bring a board along if that helps, cheers, rob.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021, 13:22 Stephen C. Tweedie, <sctw...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Hi all,

With lockdown relaxing, we have the possibility of meeting in person to
play Go together again!

Our normal venue at the Games Hub is currently not open for general
use. The upstairs is still being refurbished and I'm not sure how much
longer that will take. I understand that they are accepting limited
bookings for downstairs use only, entering by a side door while the
rest of the work is done.

That doesn't make for an ideal and welcoming venue, but it may be
enough.

An alternative is to host the club at home. I am willing to offer my
own house as a potential meeting venue --- we have a decent-sized
dining room that can easily accommodate 3 boards, and a kitchen next to
it that could host a fourth. I have two full-size boards, a clock, a
travel set and one 9x9/13x13 board usable here, so it wouldn't take
much more to get up to 4 games going. I may have some weeks we're not
available, but in principle this might work for Thursday evening
meetings or for ad-hoc social weekend games.

The downside is that we're on the edge of town on the South-West. It's
easy enough to get to --- there's a nr. 10 bus that stops at the top of
the road --- but it's definitely not central.

I'll provide the address on personal email rather than via the public
group if people are interested.

Not everybody will necessarily be comfortable meeting in person yet, so
we could easily do some ad-hoc weekend meetings and still do online
meets on Thursdays.

So...

 * I'd like to invite club members for an informal Go meet tomorrow
   (Sunday 22nd) at 2pm. Coffee and biscuits will be provided!  Let me
   know if you're interested and I'll provide contact details.

 * Please give feedback on meeting in person (here or elsewhere) beyond
   that.

Thanks all!

Regards,
Stephen

Daniel Lynch

Aug 25, 2021, 6:43:54 PM8/25/21
to edinburg...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I'd be interested in meeting in person.

I think my personal preference would be to hold meetings somewhere central (e.g. using the Games Hub in spite of the renovation), as I live in Fife so busses may be a hassle if it were to be held. Provided busses aren't too much of a hassle though, I'd also be open to meeting in someone's house if that is more convenient.

Looking forward to meeting with you all,
Daniel