Edinburgh Go Club meeting online!

Stephen Tweedie

Mar 23, 2020, 1:17:26 PM3/23/20
to Edinburgh Go Club
Hi all,

In case you haven't seen it, we now have an online group on the OGS go server web site for members and friends of the Edinburgh Go Club, and we are now meeting there on a Thursday night instead of at our usual venue.  No additional software is needed, you just join and can start playing.

There's a post on our our web site.  There was also a last minute discussion on the Google Groups last week, but as that was somewhat hidden in the "Membership Survey and AGM" thread I'm starting a separate forum thread here for better visibility.

We have 10 people now in the online group, and it seemed to work well last Thursday.  I hope we can make it a regular event until things go back to normal!

A couple of comments based on what we experienced so far:
  • Some people had issues with slow web performance when logging on for the first time.  Reloading the web page may help.
  • There are ladders (one each for 9x9, 13x13 and 19x19) that you can join too
  • OGS has good support for correspondence games (it will tell you how many games are waiting for you to make a move when you visit the site), so we can still keep games going beyond the usual club hours.
  • It's not possible to see who's online in the group home page, but if we add each other as OGS friends then you can see who's online in your friends list.
Any other feedback or suggestions?

Hope to see you there this week, and please do forward this to any members you might know who may not be on the forums.

Thanks!

--Stephen

rob

Mar 30, 2020, 3:23:06 PM3/30/20
to Edinburgh Go Club

Neil has been talking to Newcastle about setting up a virtual return match, and was interesting to see their virtualised set-up below

Personally OGS has been working well for me, though I'm having to teach myself how to play online again.

How is everyone else's experience ? I turned up a bit late last week, so didn't see what the turnout was like.

Best Regards,

rob.