ShortBred AMR data

Josie Blair

Jan 17, 2023, 12:54:44 PM1/17/23
to edge-users
Good Afternoon,
I recently ran several nanopore sequencing runs on blood cultures through EDGE with Gene Family Analysis searching for antimicrobial resistances to compare to Phoenix and phenotypic disc-diffusion studies.

What criteria is used for these identified genes from Shortbred? Some genes such as mecA are alone indicative of MRSA, so hits for this would confer resistances, however, other genes identified such as blaR1, Erm23S, arna, etc need SNPs/mutations in order to confer resistances.

Does ShortBred identify just the gene or is it also identifying mutations in these genes and counting them as positive hits for drug-resistance?

Please see example data in question attached.

Thank you!

Josie Blair
AMR genes .docx

Lo, Chien-Chi

Jan 17, 2023, 4:27:03 PM1/17/23
to Josie Blair, edge-users

Hi,

According the my understanding, the ShortBRED is a tool to screen a metagenome or metatranscriptome against a given AMR marker set to profile the presence/absence and relative abundance of the AMR proteins. It based on RAPsearch2 software for fast protein similarity search from short reads. EDGE allows user to adjust default identity and length % threshold (see attached screenshot when user click on addition options).  I don’t think ShortBRED will identify mutations in these genes.

Thanks,

Chienchi

Lo, Chien-Chi

Jan 18, 2023, 3:36:37 PM1/18/23
to Josie Blair, edge-users

Hi,

Just another thoughts on your question. Since your data is from Nanopore sequencing. The quality of the raw reads may not good enough for SNP/mutations detection and it may have many false variants call. EDGE can assemble nanopore reads and use contig-based gene family analysis which uses RGI to search the AMR genes from CARD. The result of RGI does report SNPs.

Thanks,

Chienchi

Josie Blair