Stephen Wolfram

Maria Droujkova

Jul 30, 2010, 12:28:01 PM7/30/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The fact that there is a man named Wolfram behind the software by the same name came up in our Wednesday discussion. The Wikipedia bio is somewhat dry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Wolfram

He is sometimes blogging on W|A blog, for example, http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/03/05/wolframalpha-is-coming/, though comments are closed. He used Foundations of Mathematics forum for one of his projects in 2007, though he does not participate there usually - I would not count on him answering forum posts: http://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2007-October/012149.html

Stephen gave a talk at TED this year (last week's Dan Meyer's movie was a part of TED as well): http://blog.wolfram.com/2010/04/27/stephen-wolframs-ted-talk-computation-is-destined-to-be-the-defining-idea-of-our-future/

He has a very sweet scrapbook on his personal site, where baby pictures come together with scans of math writings: http://www.stephenwolfram.com/scrapbook/page1/

Even though Stephen Wolfram is primarily a computer scientist, his work caused huge changes in mathematics education.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.