Can lesson plan be effective without measurable objectives?

1 view

Maria Droujkova

Aug 1, 2010, 11:56:24 AM8/1/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Sam asks this great question in his blog post: http://semhouston1.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/sample-lesson-plan-solving-system-of-linear-equations/

What do you think? Reply at Sam's blog!

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Ethan Lewis

Aug 2, 2010, 9:48:29 AM8/2/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Maria,
  In 4-4 we are to create applets and embed them.  Although I would like to learn, I don't know how to create an applet, let alone embed one.  Do you know of any basic tutorials on how to do this?  Thanks

Ethan

Maria Droujkova

Aug 2, 2010, 10:14:30 AM8/2/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Ethan,

Learning how to make applets is an implicit part of the 4-4 assignment: it does not assume you already know how to do it. There are quite a few "getting started" tutorials for GeoGebra you can find using web search or YouTube search. I added a few of my picks to the task description on this week's page, too: http://ed526b.wikispaces.com/Week+4

You already used a GeoGebra construction with the idea of symmetry in one of your blog posts: http://esivel.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/graphs-and-symmetric-functions/ The additional piece of knowledge here is inserting an applet itself, not just a picture, into your blog post. I Googled "geogebra wordpress" and came up with this, for example, from one of my favorite math teacher blogs called f(t), by Kate Novak: http://function-of-time.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-embed-geogebra-sketch-into-blog.html

Please make sure you read the last comment, from June 2010, about the way of doing it in the new version.

If you open the software and try tools from the menu, you will probably get ideas for some simple things you can do with/for students. Here is what I would recommend:

- Download and open software, spend some 10-20 minutes clicking buttons and dragging things around
- Watch 2-3 "getting started" tutorials, following along
- Take a break, thinking of some simple ideas
- Implement your ideas, insert the applet into your blog following Kate's step-by-step instructions
- Check out some applets and lessons created by others, for more inspiration