Moar assessment!!1

Maria Droujkova

Aug 5, 2010, 9:01:42 AM8/5/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Several people asked for more assessment tasks earlier in the course, and during yesterday's meeting, quite a few people expressed that desire as well. I would like to thank everybody for guiding the course design toward higher relevance. Here are the changes I made. In addition, I would like you to focus on assessment when you are working with partners on developing student tasks further.

~*~*~*~*~*
I replaced a Diigo link-adding task with an assessment task in Week 5, which should take about the same time, and now reads:

5-4

Find sources that describe the following types of assessment, sorted into categories by different principles. Critique sources and assessment types in a blog post and/or screencast. Which types would you use and why?

  • By goal: Formative and summative
  • By neutrality: Objective and subjective
  • By the entity doing it: Self-assessment, peer assessment, another person assessment, automatic (computer) assessment
  • By response: Constructed-response and selected-response
  • By mind properties: Ability and performance
  • By contextualization: Authentic and standardized
You can search the web or libraries for sources, or use this annotated list: http://mathforum.org/mathed/assessment.html

~*~*~*~*~*
In Week 6, I moved the task asking about assessments by Bloom's levels to be number one, to stress its importance. The task reads:

6-1

Pick up math tasks for each of Bloom's levels. You can use your previous class work as examples or make up new ones. For each task, briefly describe two assessment types you would use. You can link other people's explanation of the assessment technique instead of the description.

If a task encompasses many levels (for example, most projects and unit studies do), use two assessment ideas per level.

Some sources of assessment ideas: http://mathforum.org/mathed/assessment.html

Task builder toy: The Differentiator

~*~*~*~*~*
The next two tasks in Week 6 now also include assessment components, which replaced another part in Task 6-3:

6-2

Using the list of mathematical entities you created in the second week, Task 2-2, design student activities that call for students creating three of such entities. How will you assess these Creating level tasks?

6-3

Open a math textbook of your choice, preferably one you have used or will be using with your students. Analyze a chapter from it according to Bloom's task levels. How is the level balance for your taste? Does assessment focus on all task levels appropriately?

In Week 7, I added the following option to two of the three content tasks: "You can focus on task design and/or assessment in your comments." This differentiates the tasks more, allowing different foci and different amount of work.

I also changed 5-8 into a make-up task. I highly recommend at least glancing at the article, because it's very cool.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.