Creating math vs. creating about math?

Maria Droujkova

Aug 23, 2010, 7:08:45 AM8/23/10
to ed5...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Reading this week's blog posts about Creating level tasks, I thought of another limitation of Bloom's framework, or rather, something I would add to it.

Tasks with creating math: these invite students to create new mathematical entities, such as an alternative axiom, their own way to symbolize numbers, a new method of solving problems, a conjecture and so on.

Tasks with creating about math: these invite students to create songs, poems, blog posts, movies and other representations about already-created mathematics.

The difference is not clear-cut in many cases, especially rich data visualizations. Here is a good example of the mixture of two (check out the funny strife in comments): http://graphjam.com/2010/08/19/funny-graphs-its-hip-to-be-quadrilaterals/

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.