February 4, 2012: Share some math sculptures

Maria Droujkova

Feb 4, 2012, 8:01:17 PM2/4/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
This Saturday, let us share our favorite math sculptures - photos or videos work, even virtual sculptures would do. If you made it yourself, even better!

One of my favorite 3D math art things is the hyperbolic crochet coral reef:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKhi0x4Ni4

What I like about crochet as a math medium: you can repeat a very simple pattern in stitches (for example, make a double every next stitch), and produce very complex and beautiful results.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett, Sandra

Feb 4, 2012, 9:17:51 PM2/4/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
One of my favorite artists is Piet Mondrian. I like the use of shapes and colors, and students can learn such terms as vertical, horizontal, perpendicular, parallel, converge, diverge, diagonal, perimeter, and area. A 3-D look at work inspired by him: http://youtu.be/t0lTAXYFq5A
I also found a sample math lesson using his work at http://www.storyboardtoys.com/gallery/Piet-Mondrian.htm
I like that materials such as legos or Rubics cubes could also be used in a classroom in connection with his work.

Maria Droujkova

Feb 5, 2012, 5:04:29 AM2/5/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Garrett, Sandra <sgar...@arcadia.edu> wrote:
One of my favorite artists is Piet Mondrian. I like the use of shapes and colors, and students can learn such terms as vertical, horizontal, perpendicular, parallel, converge, diverge, diagonal, perimeter, and area. A 3-D look at work inspired by him: http://youtu.be/t0lTAXYFq5A
I also found a sample math lesson using his work at http://www.storyboardtoys.com/gallery/Piet-Mondrian.htm
I like that materials such as legos or Rubics cubes could also be used in a classroom in connection with his work.

It's interesting the Mondrian work looks so beautiful to us. Grids are the backbone of many art pieces, but usually you don't see them explicitly!

I once made a lesson about Mondrian (for Florida Virtual School, if I remember correctly) where students wrote equations of lines with zero or infinite slopes to create their artpiece. Then the software colored it randomly.

Garrett, Sandra

Feb 5, 2012, 8:26:55 AM2/5/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
"Grids are the backbone of many art pieces, but usually you don't see them explicitly!"
I think this is the reason I immediately thought of Mondrian when I read this assignment.  I can easily see the "math" in his lines, shapes, and angles. Though other scultpures are beautiful or interesting to me, I can't always translate them to their math operations.

Kathy

Feb 7, 2012, 11:42:38 AM2/7/12
to ED218Arcadia
Wow! I would love to be able to crochet simple flowers to use on the
hats that I make from recycled wool sweaters. These constructions are
beautiful, and they really do look like coral.

On Feb 4, 8:01 pm, Maria Droujkova <droujk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This Saturday, let us share our favorite math sculptures - photos or videos
> work, even virtual sculptures would do. If you made it yourself, even
> better!
>
> One of my favorite 3D math art things is the hyperbolic crochet coral
> reef:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKhi0x4Ni4http://crochetcoralreef.org/exhibitions/art_center.php

Kathy

Feb 7, 2012, 11:50:54 AM2/7/12
to ED218Arcadia
This artist, Jennieer Maestre does 3-D designs out of pencils and
nails. It's amazing how organic they seem.

http://www.jennifermaestre.com/portfolio.php

On Feb 4, 8:01 pm, Maria Droujkova <droujk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This Saturday, let us share our favorite math sculptures - photos or videos
> work, even virtual sculptures would do. If you made it yourself, even
> better!
>
> One of my favorite 3D math art things is the hyperbolic crochet coral
> reef:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKhi0x4Ni4http://crochetcoralreef.org/exhibitions/art_center.php

Maria Droujkova

Feb 7, 2012, 4:19:25 PM2/7/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
This is an incredible technique. It made me think of calculus ideas - how you can approximate a surface or a curving line with small straight intervals or squares. Gorgeous - WOW!

Haeberle, Laura

Feb 7, 2012, 8:49:14 PM2/7/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
 I researched one sculptor, named Bathsheba Grossman. She does 3D printing in metal, and the results are amazing. Here are some of her math-based pieces. I think my favorite is Borromean Rings. http://www.bathsheba.com/math/

And then here's a Wikipedia article about her, if anyone is interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathsheba_Grossman