Math anxiety and math well-being

1 view

Maria Droujkova

Mar 27, 2012, 8:40:11 AM3/27/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
If you were the Supreme Ruler and also evil, how would you maximize math anxiety?

Only two people reported on their networking last week. I suggest you select two options this week, then. The games seminar from MIT's BrainPop promises to be rather interesting:

One of the people who networked last week was Carolyn Lesser - and she found something exciting! Carolyn writes, in a Facebook comment: "This was really cool! I don't really know much about math circles but this helped me to understand it a little better. I think this is something I would really like to be involved with. Are circles very common or for me to be part of one would I most likely have to create one myself?"

I hope you create a math circle, Carolyn! They are very meaningful and fun, for students and for leaders. The number of circles in the US has been growing fast in the last decade, and there are good support networks and materials by now.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett, Sandra

Mar 28, 2012, 9:36:57 AM3/28/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
This was a really interesting assignment, and I admit that I drew upon some of the things in my past experiences that created anxiety in math.  I remember one teacher actually did arrange the students' seats by grades.  Studenst who passed the previous week's exam were placed on the right-side of the room, and students who failed were on the left side-- as if embarrassment is all that was needed to help students succeed!