January 28, 2012 Saturday issue: share your favorite presentations

1 view

Maria Droujkova

Jan 28, 2012, 6:34:46 AM1/28/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
On Saturdays, we are sharing our favorite media. Last week, we shared videos, which are now a part of the course's YouTube playlist:  http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84E80E3C18F033D9

This week, let's share presentations (which can be videos of presentations, slide shows, or Prezi shows).

Here are two of my favorites:

"Math is not linear" on Prezi, by a math teacher Alison Blank - because this is a gorgeous presentation and I love the message:  http://prezi.com/aww2hjfyil0u/math-is-not-linear/

"Computer-based math" on TED, by Conrad Woflram, the Europe's managing director of Wolfram Research, because he's creating a network of interested people around this topic, which is my passion. I was on the math game design panel at Conrad's Computer-based math education summit this November. http://www.ted.com/talks/conrad_wolfram_teaching_kids_real_math_with_computers.html

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett, Sandra

Jan 28, 2012, 8:39:23 AM1/28/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
Here's a Prezi that I really like. http://prezi.com/r2lbb3lfomg5/playing-to-learn-math/
Though she is a teacher of Algebra, I think her ideas fit for education in general.  I really like the quote about boredom, and I like the overall message that it isn't the material that prevents a child from learning; it is the way the material is presented.

My second presentation deals with my theme of math and disabilities.  It surprises me how little research and technqiues have been developed for teaching math.  http://youtu.be/ssuEbixtmvw

Lesser, Carolyn

Jan 28, 2012, 10:35:01 PM1/28/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
I thought this was a fun prezi that would be very helpful for kids
learning long division. It has a song for kids to memorize the steps
and also explains it in depth throughout the prezi. It is visually
interesting so kids should have no problem following along.

http://edu.prezi.com/showcase/23049/Long-Division/

Maria Droujkova

Feb 5, 2012, 3:14:40 PM2/5/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
Since people were sharing Prezis last week, I wanted to add a couple of more. Both are made by children or participants in this class, who also like mathematics and education.

The first Prezi is about "Kids Consult" - a company with a nine-year-old president, reviewing mathematical media:

The second Prezi is about the concept of DIY U, made by (then) twelve-year-old after a webinar on the topic: