February 16, 2012: Live meetings now by appointment

Maria Droujkova

Feb 16, 2012, 6:15:11 AM2/16/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We need to fix a problem with live meetings. The option of listening to the recording failed to work this week, since nobody showed up. I would like each participant at least (and people who follow are welcome) to have a live talk each week starting at Week 6. Let's do the following:

By Friday of each week, I will post the list of live math events happening next week, and my open times. Participants then need to email me, by Monday morning, which of the existing live events they plan to visit, or make an individual appointment with me for a short meeting (15-20 minutes) similar to what we did last week with Carolyn, recorded here:  http://p2pu.org/en/groups/ed218-developing-mathematics-the-early-years/content/week-4-live-meetings-february-6-12/ I will do my best to also be there live at math events everybody picks, such as Tweeter chats, but if not, I will view recordings.

This week, I changed the live meeting task to also have the following option:

Video comments task

Go to our video playlist on YouTube and pick three videos you like the most, as an elementary mathematics educator. Leave comments for the video's authors, explaining why you like the video (as an educator).

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84E80E3C18F033D9

For that to work, focus on videos posted by their authors. You can usually figure out who posted from notes under the video. For example, our class participant David Wees recorded his young son asking about the relative motion, which the note explains: "My son asking a question about relative motion. Proof that even very young children sometimes have deep questions about physics."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXho-BN6YE

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett, Sandra

Feb 16, 2012, 8:46:05 AM2/16/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
I commented on 3 videos, but one of them said that the comment was waiting approval.

Maria Droujkova

Feb 16, 2012, 8:55:35 AM2/16/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Garrett, Sandra <sgar...@arcadia.edu> wrote:
I commented on 3 videos, but one of them said that the comment was waiting approval.

Excellent, Sandra!

Moderated comments is one of the reasons I suggested comments be copied into the thread on P2PU - authors don't always get to approving them quickly.

I wanted to let you and everybody know that these comments will go toward a good cause above and beyond a course task. There is a group of people at Math Future working on a project called "Video Sieve" for sorting math ed videos. Last month, we helped Next Vista run a video competition: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/NextVista

People in the project will look for your comments as an inspiration for categories for the Sieve.

Cheers,
MariaD

Sebastian Panakal

Feb 17, 2012, 10:14:13 AM2/17/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria,

Browsing through all the activities, visiting all the links etc. make me feel I cannot make any contribution worth this team. I really am lurking.

I appreciate the great wonderful things you and this team do!! At times, I go green with envy.

Sincerely
Sebastian Panakal

Maria Droujkova