Computer-based math?

Maria Droujkova

Mar 20, 2012, 5:22:10 PM3/20/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
How would you define computer-based math?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math

Garrett, Sandra

Mar 20, 2012, 6:56:09 PM3/20/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
Without having researched this topic yet, I would say that computer based math as math instruction that is delivered or received using a computer based curriculum.  What I wonder, though, is what others think of the method of relying so heavily on computers.  Are there some concepts that are best taught as a hands-on exploration?  Like measuring... it would seem to me, not being a math teacher, that teaching measuring would be understood by handing a student an actual ruler and teaching them how to use it.  Are ruler simulations really as effective?  I'm just curious what math people think...