February 3, 2012

1 view

Maria Droujkova

Feb 3, 2012, 9:14:59 PM2/3/12
to ed218a...@googlegroups.com
WEEK 3 TASKS
There are three tasks this week.

(5 min - 1 hour) Arts, math and many answers: ask an elementary question to which every student can give a different correct answer http://p2pu.org/en/groups/ed218-developing-mathematics-the-early-years/content/week-3-arts-math-many-answers-january-30-february-5/

(10 min - 1 hour) Wikipedians: help with good sources we can cite in the modern elementary math article http://p2pu.org/en/groups/ed218-developing-mathematics-the-early-years/content/week-3-wikipedians-january-30-february-5/

(1 hour) Multiple live math events to choose; ours to alternate Wednesdays and Mondays  http://p2pu.org/en/groups/ed218-developing-mathematics-the-early-years/content/week-3-live-meeting-january-30-february-5/

QUESTIONS WITH MANY ANSWERS

Check out the philosophical question from Laura Haeberle:

Do we base our understanding of art and nature off of math? Or do we frame our understanding of math on the laws of nature and observable physical properties?

I thought of this question from my prior research and interest in the Fibonnacci sequence and it's applications in nature. In learning the sequence, I realized how deeply math and nature fit together, and how the world supports both. My math question is rather philosophical, yet I have a few different ways that I could adjust this for children. I could ask them to take pictures or simply brainstorm ways that math is in nature (ex: number of petals on flowers, perfect rectangles/circles, etc.). Then we could talk about where this comes from, perhaps even bringing in hands-on material for the kids (ex: pinecones, leaves, flowers, etc.) This would be a way to introduce the philosophy of the subject without overwhelming the students. I believe that it's important for children to be constantly questioning the world around them, and I want to make curiosity valued in my classroom.

And several videos where kids ask questions with many answers, from Julia Brodsky:

Here you can see our math circle kids asking their questions:

 http://youtu.be/PPd7jxEbwYY

And here are our high school students teaching a math circle for younger kids:

 http://youtu.be/qYjvMpbSNPY

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math