More Edinburgh photos from 1959

a l l y

Aug 5, 2008, 7:19:18 PM8/5/08
I've added about 10 more photos to my set of Old Edinburgh, here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allybeag/sets/72157594580173511/ . Most were
taken from the top of a bus travelling up Dundas Street, down Hanover
Street, up the Mound and up George IV Bridge towards Bristo. So few cars! So
many changes!

ally

Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

Aug 6, 2008, 2:53:42 AM8/6/08

Magic, pal! All of them!
Trams!! Did they ever make a comeback?

Zimmy

Aug 6, 2008, 4:50:46 AM8/6/08

"a l l y" <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> wrote in message

<rose tints>
Ah, the 50's and 60's must've been the optimum time to live, no traffic
stress, mod cons available and everything was still good for you, even
smoking.
</rose tints>

a l l y

Aug 6, 2008, 4:51:21 AM8/6/08

"Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce" <BTo...@ThistleBounce.com> wrote in message

<Snigger!> Would've saved a lot of bother if they'd just left those
tramlines in place, eh?

ally

G Bell

Aug 6, 2008, 6:33:28 AM8/6/08
"a l l y" <al...@situponDOGGIEseats.co.uk> writes:

>> Magic, pal! All of them!
>> Trams!! Did they ever make a comeback?

><Snigger!> Would've saved a lot of bother if they'd just left those
>tramlines in place, eh?

Great photos and here is a map of the old tram routes(with a lot of
dotted regular rail lines marked as well):

http://tinyurl.co.uk/yskg

Also another question what are the metal thing sticking horizontally out
from the building on Queensferry Street just as you turn off from Princes
street? Did once think they held cables for trams but there doesn't seem
to be a route going along there? Probably something mundane but would
like to know.

Graham

Mike Dickson

Aug 6, 2008, 7:52:58 AM8/6/08

I had forgotten just how utterly black the buildings were. It really was
a completely manky city in some places.

--
Mike Dickson, Edinburgh

Free Music Project: http://www.last.fm/music/Mike+Dickson
Or http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/

Sam Wilson

Aug 6, 2008, 8:35:13 AM8/6/08
In article <6fthksF...@mid.individual.net>,
Mike Dickson <forename...@geemail.com> wrote:

> a l l y wrote:
>
> > I've added about 10 more photos to my set of Old Edinburgh, here -
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/allybeag/sets/72157594580173511/ . Most were
> > taken from the top of a bus travelling up Dundas Street, down Hanover
> > Street, up the Mound and up George IV Bridge towards Bristo. So few cars!
> > So
> > many changes!
>
> I had forgotten just how utterly black the buildings were. It really was
> a completely manky city in some places.

That would be Auld Reekie, then.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I remember being amazed at the age
of around 10 when the vogue for cleaning public buildings started.
Before that I had believed they were built of black stone.

Sam

charles

Aug 6, 2008, 8:29:10 AM8/6/08
In article <g7bulo$dmn$1...@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>,

> http://tinyurl.co.uk/yskg

Certainly there wasn't a tram route there in the 40s and 50s. I do
remember some ornate brackets on buildings which use to support street
lights. Perhaps that's what these were. Photo?

Incidentally there were more ECT tram routes than shown on the map. There
were routes 25 & 26 which went through Murrayfield (perhaps from Drum Brae)
to Portobello and a bit beyond. There was a terminus at the junction of
Milton Road & the shore road.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

a l l y

Aug 6, 2008, 10:03:39 AM8/6/08

"Sam Wilson" <Sam.W...@ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
We lived in a flat in Marchmont in those days, and one of the householders
in our stair decided to get their stonework cleaned. I was astonished! It
ended up looking really silly, of course, being the only light-coloured flat
in a tenement of black stone.

ally

Mike Dickson

Aug 6, 2008, 11:51:57 AM8/6/08
a l l y wrote:

> We lived in a flat in Marchmont in those days, and one of the householders
> in our stair decided to get their stonework cleaned. I was astonished! It
> ended up looking really silly, of course, being the only light-coloured flat
> in a tenement of black stone.

Yes. It would be like being the only white kid in Brixton.

Halmyre

Aug 6, 2008, 3:43:30 PM8/6/08
In article <Sam.Wilson-2ADB0...@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>,
Sam.W...@ed.ac.uk says...

A lot of those cleaned buildings now just look green.

--
Halmyre

That's you that is.

Message has been deleted

Dave

Aug 8, 2008, 4:11:50 AM8/8/08
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:43:30 +0100, Halmyre <no....@this.address>
somehow managed to impart:

[snip]

>> I'm sure I've said this before, but I remember being amazed at the age
>> of around 10 when the vogue for cleaning public buildings started.
>> Before that I had believed they were built of black stone.
>>
>> Sam
>>

>A lot of those cleaned buildings now just look green.

Especially the National Map Library Of Scotland (which is too new to
have ever been black, admittedly). 33 Salisbury Place - Causewayside
corner. It's a weird construction, possibly tempting to drunk,
would-be climbers. It's got green, slimy stuff all over it at street
level.

It's so sad that the Princes Street building in [20 June 1959 -
Princes Street looking west (3)] was demolished to make way for BHS (I
think). It would make a man weep. :o(

I remember free all-day parking in Princes Street, and I remember
cycling to school along the smooth cobbles (setts for the pedants) and
avoiding the tram lines. I'd long forgotten that - until I started
typing! Amazing what tricks memory plays on you when you're 1000000
years old (in binary).

Dave
<http://www.henniker.org.uk> 3000 photos especially
Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.

charles

Aug 8, 2008, 4:04:40 AM8/8/08
In article <slrng9mqj8...@pepper.local.lan>,
David M <da...@bogus.domain.dom.invalid> wrote:
> charles wrote in ed.general
> about: Re: More Edinburgh photos from 1959

> > Incidentally there were more ECT tram routes than shown on the map.
> > There were routes 25 & 26 which went through Murrayfield (perhaps from
> > Drum Brae) to Portobello and a bit beyond. There was a terminus at the
> > junction of Milton Road & the shore road.

> What you describe is pretty much the Nº 26 bus route, obvious a case of
> the route number remaining even when the trams were replaced by buses.

Indeed, but the No 1 tram became the 31 bus, since there was already a bus
of that number.

Mike Dickson

Aug 8, 2008, 4:48:36 AM8/8/08
Dave wrote:

> It's so sad that the Princes Street building in [20 June 1959 -
> Princes Street looking west (3)] was demolished to make way for BHS (I
> think). It would make a man weep. :o(

You may find this hard to believe, but at the start of this year the BHS
building was being considered for listed status as it was an
'outstanding example of 20th century architecture'.

The people who designed this eyesore also designed the Commonwealth Pool
and the David Hume Tower. They also had a hand in the Scottish
Parliament building too.

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/british_home_stores.htm

charles

Aug 8, 2008, 4:51:39 AM8/8/08
In article <e3vn949aff0855l60...@4ax.com>,
Dave <dave@dŞvĄdhenniker.org.uk> wrote:

> I remember free all-day parking in Princes Street, and I remember
> cycling to school along the smooth cobbles (setts for the pedants) and
> avoiding the tram lines. I'd long forgotten that - until I started
> typing! Amazing what tricks memory plays on you when you're 1000000
> years old (in binary).

I can add 100 (binary) to that ;-)

Zimmy

Aug 13, 2008, 12:22:39 PM8/13/08

"charles" <cha...@charleshope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <e3vn949aff0855l60...@4ax.com>,

> Dave <dave@d治︸henniker.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I remember free all-day parking in Princes Street, and I remember
>> cycling to school along the smooth cobbles (setts for the pedants) and
>> avoiding the tram lines. I'd long forgotten that - until I started
>> typing! Amazing what tricks memory plays on you when you're 1000000
>> years old (in binary).
>
> I can add 100 (binary) to that ;-)

Three programmers walk into a bar. One of them holds up two fingers and says
"three beers bartender." :-)

Windmill

Aug 14, 2008, 4:26:33 AM8/14/08
"Zimmy" <x@y.z> writes:

>> I can add 100 (binary) to that ;-)

>Three programmers walk into a bar. One of them holds up two fingers and says
>"three beers bartender." :-)

I think I prefer to give my age as 1y (36)
--
Windmill, Really t m i l l
Til...@Nonetel.com @ O n e t e l

Chris Malcolm

Aug 15, 2008, 9:40:52 AM8/15/08
Mike Dickson <forename...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Dave wrote:

>> It's so sad that the Princes Street building in [20 June 1959 -
>> Princes Street looking west (3)] was demolished to make way for BHS (I
>> think). It would make a man weep. :o(

> You may find this hard to believe, but at the start of this year the BHS
> building was being considered for listed status as it was an
> 'outstanding example of 20th century architecture'.

> The people who designed this eyesore also designed the Commonwealth Pool
> and the David Hume Tower. They also had a hand in the Scottish
> Parliament building too.

> http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/british_home_stores.htm

I can remember the David Hume Tower being built, and the controversy
over it, and the architect explaining in public that he had gone to
great lengths to try to make it a building of high aesthetic quality
which contrasted sensitively with the surrounding older buildings and
the view of Arthur's Seat, and so piously on.

Decades later I happened to catch the same architect in a TV interview
retrospectively considering his star studded architectural career,
which included among other things the famously controversial Hume
Tower. He was quite happy to confess that of course like any young
ambitious architect he had wanted his design to stand out like a
modern radical fist raised as aggressively high and obtrusively as
possible against the bleatings of silly old conservatives. Or
something like that :-)

--
Chris Malcolm c...@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Sam Wilson

Aug 15, 2008, 10:25:24 AM8/15/08
In article <g84114$7er$3...@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>,
Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> I can remember the David Hume Tower being built, and the controversy
> over it, and the architect explaining in public that he had gone to
> great lengths to try to make it a building of high aesthetic quality
> which contrasted sensitively with the surrounding older buildings and
> the view of Arthur's Seat, and so piously on.

Well, actually, I quite like DHT. Appleton Tower on the other hand...

Sam

Pob

Aug 17, 2008, 5:32:22 AM8/17/08

"Sam Wilson" <Sam.W...@ed.ac.uk> wrote in message news:Sam.Wilson-
> Chris Malcolm <c...@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I can remember the David Hume Tower being built, and the controversy
>> over it, and the architect explaining in public that he had gone to
>> great lengths to try to make it a building of high aesthetic quality
>> which contrasted sensitively with the surrounding older buildings and
>> the view of Arthur's Seat, and so piously on.
>
> Well, actually, I quite like DHT. Appleton Tower on the other hand...

Ditto.

I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Appleton Tower built with a fixed
lifespan in mind, which it has now somewhat exceeded? The repairs that are
ongoing to fix the disintegrating decoration, turning the tower a pale green
(even though it is temporary) is not doing anything to beautify it.

(You get damn fine photos from the roof though...mainly because you can't
get the Tower in too)

pOB