Getting started

RobOrracle

Oct 18, 2010, 2:26:46 PM10/18/10
to eCSStender Mailing List
Hello everyone and thanks Andrew for pointing me here. I had a couple
questions regarding how to get set up and going with this tool. Let me
describe what I've done and what I'm using first.

I'm using Drupal 6 and have built out a website for a client using
quite a bit of CSS3 all of which work fine in every other browser
expect for our old friend IE.

I've added the scripts and extentions to my page as follows:

<script src="http://mysite.com/sites/all/themes/Merrick/js/src/
eCSStender.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script src="mysite.com/sites/all/themes/Merrick/js/src/
eCSStender.css3-backgrounds-and-borders.js" type="text/javascript"></
script>
<script src="http://mysite.com/sites/all/themes/Merrick/js/src/
eCSStender.CSS3-color.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I used absolute paths to make sure that there was no mix up or
confusion with the path to the js files. I have each of the script
files in the destination folder noted above and have double-checked
all to make sure they're there.

I'm really not familiar with Javascript at all so I'm not sure if I
got this set up correctly or not. I'm not able to see any results
rendered in internet explorer at all. I'm not sure whether it may be a
file permission issue, or what, but it was my understanding that I
should be able to link the files and they'd work. Please forgive my
ignorance on this. I've tested on three different computers, so I
know that's not it.

I'd certainly appreciate any help or input from anyone who might have
an idea as to why it's not working for me.

Thanks in advance -

Rob

Aaron Gustafson

Oct 18, 2010, 4:24:32 PM10/18/10
to eCSStender Mailing List
On Oct 18, 2:26 pm, RobOrracle <roborra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone and thanks Andrew for pointing me here.  I had a couple
> questions regarding how to get set up and going with this tool. Let me
> describe what I've done and what I'm using first.
>
> I'm using Drupal 6 and have built out a website for a client using
> quite a bit of CSS3 all of which work fine in every other browser
> expect for our old friend IE.

Can you post a link, the version of IE you're using, and a list of
what you're looking to see work in IE? It could be one of two things
(off the bat):

1) the CSS files are not local to the server (e.g. they are on a
different domain, making it impossible for eCSStender to read the
file)
2) the particular feature you are looking to support is not currently
supported in the version of IE you are using.

Or it could be a bug of some sort, but it's hard to tell from your
message.

RobOrracle

Oct 20, 2010, 7:00:03 AM10/20/10
to eCSStender Mailing List
Hi Andrew - thanks for the reply.

I'm using IE8. Here is the link to my devel site:

http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/

As of now, the JS file links are only added to the front page

The problems are predominantly around bg colors, border-radius, and
rgba settings

the css file is in the same directory as the html (template.php) page
and should be local to the server.

Thanks for taking a look - I really appreciate it.

On Oct 18, 4:24 pm, Aaron Gustafson <aaron.easydesi...@gmail.com>

RobOrracle

Oct 20, 2010, 7:16:34 AM10/20/10
to eCSStender Mailing List
Sorry about your name Aaron - didn't mean to do that :)

On Oct 20, 7:00 am, RobOrracle <roborra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew - thanks for the reply.
>
> I'm using IE8.  Here is the link to my devel site:
>
> http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink...

Aaron Gustafson

Oct 20, 2010, 3:58:05 PM10/20/10
to ecsst...@googlegroups.com

On 20 Oct 2010, at 7:00 AM, RobOrracle wrote:

> I'm using IE8. Here is the link to my devel site:
>
> http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/
>
> As of now, the JS file links are only added to the front page
>
> The problems are predominantly around bg colors, border-radius, and
> rgba settings
>
> the css file is in the same directory as the html (template.php) page
> and should be local to the server.
>
> Thanks for taking a look - I really appreciate it.

Ok, so I think it's a bug in the isSupported() method and I've committed a patch to Github. Can you grab /src/eCSStender.js from the HEAD and give that one a shot? I'm still testing before I officially release that and a few more changes/optimizations as 1.2.7.

Aaron Gustafson

Oct 20, 2010, 4:19:05 PM10/20/10
to ecsst...@googlegroups.com

On 20 Oct 2010, at 7:16 AM, RobOrracle wrote:

> Sorry about your name Aaron - didn't mean to do that :)
>
> On Oct 20, 7:00 am, RobOrracle <roborra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andrew - thanks for the reply.

It took me a while to figure out what you were referring to ;-) No worries.

RobOrracle

Oct 21, 2010, 7:22:39 PM10/21/10
to eCSStender Mailing List
Aaron - thanks again for your help - this seemed to get things moving
in the
right direction for sure. I'm still seeing issues with border-radius
and background: rgba...
though. I'm not sure if this would even be possible with these
scripts, so forgive me if I missed something?

http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/

Rob

On Oct 20, 4:19 pm, Aaron Gustafson <aaron.easydesi...@gmail.com>

Aaron Gustafson

Oct 22, 2010, 4:45:31 PM10/22/10
to ecsst...@googlegroups.com

On 21 Oct 2010, at 7:22 PM, RobOrracle wrote:

> Aaron - thanks again for your help - this seemed to get things moving
> in the
> right direction for sure. I'm still seeing issues with border-radius
> and background: rgba...
> though. I'm not sure if this would even be possible with these
> scripts, so forgive me if I missed something?
>
> http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/

I'll look into the RGBa thing, but I can tell you that border-radius is not currently supported in IE8 or below. We've been dragging our feet, trying to find the most flexible option with the least overhead.

Aaron Gustafson

Oct 26, 2010, 11:36:02 AM10/26/10
to ecsst...@googlegroups.com

On 21 Oct 2010, at 7:22 PM, RobOrracle wrote:

> Aaron - thanks again for your help - this seemed to get things moving
> in the
> right direction for sure. I'm still seeing issues with border-radius
> and background: rgba...
> though. I'm not sure if this would even be possible with these
> scripts, so forgive me if I missed something?
>
> http://www.merrickmaritimesecurity.com.php5-14.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/

Apologies, I'm a little swamped this week with a presentation I'm working on for Monday. I will be looking into this more in a day or so though.