ecotypes workshop + new condensed survey...+ finally, your ecotypes!

1 view

James Proctor

Jun 13, 2021, 11:58:35 PM6/13/21
to ecot...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues — I have a lot of news for you on the EcoTypes front...read on.
  • Do participate in our EcoTypes workshop at the upcoming AESS conference, Tue Jun 29, 12:00 - 2:15 pm Eastern time. A summary is below. You'll be introduced to everything you'll read here, and more!
  • I am doing major revisions to the EcoTypes website in preparation for fall 2021; stay tuned for a draft site, which will be much shorter than the current one—see note below: much of the website content will be better communicated in a book, as I've learned from your feedback.
  • In the meantime, I've produced an improved EcoTypes survey: it's both shorter, and offers even more customized feedback to the respondent! Feel free to take the draft survey here: it's totally anonymous, unless you leave your email at bottom for us to talk further.
  • As a major development now integrated into the new survey, I've recently done a statistical analysis of over 2500 unique student responses between 2019-21, and discovered five clusters—call them EcoTypes—that predominate among college-level students: Small is Beautiful, Ecoscience, Ecospirituality, Indigenous Justice, and Science for Humanity. Here is a (draft!) page summarizing these five EcoTypes and how they compare in terms of the three overarching EcoTypes themes of Place, Knowledge, and Action. Just by completing the survey, your students will be assigned one of these EcoTypes...a great educational resource for reflection and discussion.
  • All of the three main outcomes of the EcoTypes survey—axes, themes, and EcoTypes—deserve much fuller background, interpretation, and critique. This is what I hope to do via a forthcoming book-length volume, for which I've been in discussion with an interested publisher for some time. I hope to release the volume in 2022 or soon after. In the meantime, you can always feel free to be in touch with any questions or thoughts.
Thank you again for your participation in the EcoTypes initiative, I hope to see you at our upcoming Jun 29 workshop, and be in touch as needed in preparation for 2021-22.

Regards,

Jim P.

***
[Workshop summary]
Since 2017, the EcoTypes survey, exploring a wide range of environmental ideas, has been completed over 5000 times by students in nearly 100 institutions of higher education, and workshops on EcoTypes theory and pedagogy have been regularly offered at AESS conferences. In summer 2021, the EcoTypes website and survey will go through extensive updates, along with initial steps toward a companion EcoTypes volume. This workshop will introduce participants to using EcoTypes in your courses, provide a summary of improvements, and pilot the new survey, website resources, and book selections. In addition to boosting your own knowledge and skills in exploring environmental ideas with students, you will play a key role in informing the next steps of EcoTypes as a key teaching resources for AESS members in future.
***

James Proctor

Jun 22, 2021, 6:57:34 PM6/22/21
to ecot...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all!...I now have a presentation uploaded on the new EcoTypes, here, for the upcoming AESS workshop next wk. Do feel free to peruse, and get in touch if thoughts/questions.

Additionally, you can always take the new draft survey!...it's lots shorter—and statistically credible—relative to the previous long one. The survey and report will be visually improved along with the revised EcoTypes site this summer, so please be patient with current appearance.

Regards,

Jim P.