"Do we need a tool for anonymized feedback?"

Sarah Bird

May 1, 2013, 8:39:04 AM5/1/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com, Marko Samastur
Building on a comment Marko made,

I was showing econsensus to someone the other day and they also suggested an anonymized feedback feature. Their use case was also performance reviews.

Specifically - you want users to be able to see their anonymized feedback. You want a manager to be able to check that everyone has offered feedback to a person.

I think its a pretty interesting idea.

Cheers,

Bird

--
Sarah Bird
sa...@aptivate.org

Tom Lord

May 2, 2013, 6:19:53 AM5/2/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!

I think we're seeing the usual problems with less-personal communication
in Econsensus at the moment. Some people have felt that online
conversations have become more antagonistic than they'd like. If we made
it possible to give impersonal feedback, that feels like a step further
in the less personal direction. I'd be worried that there's a chance of
mis-use in a large group, or accidental use that confuses people by its
use, or is confusing just because it exists.

I'm not sure about using an online tool to give personal feedback. It
sounds like an oxymoron :-) To me, that sounds like something different
to what Econsensus is set up to do. Maybe we are talking about a
different tool?

Maybe it's useful to think about how a non-online group would deal with
this. I think that if there were something that were so serious that
someone didn't feel comfortable reveal their identity when saying it in
a meeting, then before the meeting, they'd probably approach someone
they trusted and ask them to present it, or write an anonymous tip-off
to one or more people in some extreme circumstance. The same could
happen before use of an online tool. I don't think we necessarily need
to build in more complex options ("enable anonymous feedback,
default=false") that human process can resolve using the existing tools.

However I'm happy to be proven wrong :-)
> sa...@aptivate.org <mailto:sa...@aptivate.org>
> skype: birdsarah
>
> --

Tom Lord | (to...@aptivate.org)

Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967838
Future Business, Cambridge City FC, Milton Road, Cambridge CB4 1UY

with company number 04980791.

Sarah Bird

May 2, 2013, 7:17:37 AM5/2/13
to econsens...@googlegroups.com
"I'm not sure about using an online tool to give personal feedback. It sounds like an oxymoron :-) To me, that sounds like something different to what Econsensus is set up to do. Maybe we are talking about a different tool?"

Agree and disagree. Your reaction was my response when Steve suggested this use case. I just thought it was interesting that this had now popped up a second time.

I agree that it's a completely different usage pattern: It's e-anonomyzed-feedback not e-consensus

Now that I put it like that it does feel like this is just an interesting observation, not a need.

Cheers,

Bird